Catch Photo and Death?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 20, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know alot of Cpr fisherman will crucify me for this post. I maybe even banned but I feel this is important!! So I will start out by saying I am all for it if done properly!!! Since coming to this site I have seen hundreds of fish that were "Cpr" and wondered. So before I came on here I talked to a friend of mine that works for the Dnr fisheries. I told him about photos with stringers thru gills, gafts, hanging up in a tree, blood running down side of fish and so on and so forth and then Cpr'ed. Here are some things he told me as his opinion, the clock starts ticking the minute a fish is removed from water, like throwing a human under water the clock starts ticking. Anything shoved thru the gills is like someone pushing something thru our lungs. Placing in tap water that has chroline and hundreds of other chemicals to make it safe for us to drink , is Like us drinking lake or river water. One year after a bass tourney they required all fish to be turned over to them for studies on mortality over 70% died. I came home with a empty feeling about the fish that we catch so we can photo, weigh, get slapped on the back, make the front page of newspaper or magazine, its the very fish we desire that pay the ultimate price even though we have every good intention to let it go , for another fight ,another day , that ends up dying. The very thought of that makes me have a very empty feeling. Do I have fish photos ? Yes!!! Did I release them? Yes into a hot skillet. What are your feelings? Or Ideas?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When I catch a fish, the maximum time it is out of it's element is 2 minutes. I see no reason to put a fish on a stringer or to use a gaff if you are gonna release it anyway. Get your pictures and, fishes weight and get it back to it's element ASAP. Holding a fish up by it's gill plates is a no-no as well. The gills are protected by the plates and doing damage to them will result in killing the fish. Their lives depend on your speed and the care given to them while in the boat.
    PS. You have in no way made me angry at all, Great Post!!!!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Get it done and get it done fast. The pic you take with the fish properly handled will bring ya all the pleasure ya need.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thumbs up on the post Mate!!!
    Dread is right about the Gill Rip.... Nothing hurts a fish worse than that.
    Also you should take care to support the fishes body The internal organs are used to being suspended horizontally,, when you lift the fish vertically for long periods that can stressthe fish out.
    When it come time to release the fish.... Don't! just drop the fish in the water. Use proper revival technique. Hold the fish by the tail or lip (in the water) till it is ready to move away on its own with a little umph. Depending on weather and how long the battle was. This can take some time. Think of your self when you do a long run, with some sprinting. Are you ready to take off right away. :eek:oooh:

The big ones take time to grow and are a blast to catch. Do the favor and give them a decent shot of living for another day by taking care on your release methods.

Great Post Mate
    thanks
    Larry

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great post buddy, we definatly need to take care of them if we plan to CPR them.

6. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    if we killed all the fish we caught there wouldn't be any. so in my boat the rule is fish under ten you can eat, over that photo's only. years ago i was just like some of you clean and eat all. but over the last four years talking with people i learned to just eat small ones and photo the big boys and this year i saved 100's of fish and proud of it. and i don't no if anyone out there can love cats as much as j.w. i watch him get wet alot this weekend get fish to swim away. and that makes me feel even better about letting them go. but i can't change the world but it may make you think about it. but good post

7. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We were coming into a small creek sat night to catch bait and saw a ba$$ fisherman coming out. We got to the back of the creek and there was a dead ba$$ back there floating in the water. If there is any doubt of the fish not makin it I think Ill take it home and make a meal.

8. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    must the time you find fish like that is because people got lazy and thorwed them back out after they we all must dead in the livewell.i've seen it around boat ramps alot. but most fish well live if you do it the right way. hold right. getting them back in the water fast and help them got to the point they can swim off. but if it don't look good then there ain't any thing you can do but eat it. but must will swim off

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    First of all thanks for your post. We dont skillet all of them we catch. I apologize for that misconception in my thread. Fish to big or to small are released immediately!!! Most never leave water!! Those with any signs of problems we (as fisherpersons) have caused are kept and used!! Waste not want not!! Thanks again!!!

Will/Belinda

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    whats the best way to weigh a big boy without hurting it? i have seen many with a hook in the gill plates while being weighed! :confused2:

11. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    Friends there is another consideration and that is the struggle of the fight that the fish put up releases lactic acid in the muscles and really stresses the fish and some really don't make it. One article I read it stated the longer it takes to get the fish landed the more lactic acid is released and it becomes like an athlete that has put out every last drop he can and keels over, this they stated is revealed when the fish rolls over . They said the fish actually
    loses its equilibrium when you see it roll over . here is the link
    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/07/20/catchrelease_ani.html?category=animals

12. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota

There are a couple way that you can get a weight on a fish. The easiest on the fish is to leave it in the net and weigh it that way. Just remember to subtract the weight of the net, there are some out there that take the time to use a cradle. If you can hook the fish in the lip that works to a point. When the fish starts to get over 25lbs you can run the risk of breaking a Flatheads Jaw. )Basically it can dislocate in the center of the bottom jaw. (Fairly rare occourence).

Net weight is probably the best means, and pretty easy. Just have your scale ready at all times. You get the weight as soon as you pull the net out of the water. Then commence with your photos and release.
    thanks
    Larry

13. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    I think that is a good tip Larry! quiker is better! Pappy3

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Fish mortality has always concerned me and is one reason I have mixed feelings about tourneys. As Pappy said the length of the fight can kill a fish too so you can only do what you feel is best to keep the fish healthy. Id love to see some research done on tourney fatalities, Id rather them be eaten than wasted in the water.

15. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think that everybody is on the same page. It seem as though the majority of the boc or even all of it has a decent grip of fish conservation. This make me prod to be a member. I always take care of my fish and will get it back in the water asap. If I hook a fish in a fatal way it will be eaten. I think that is the way to fish. I also eat the little ones 10 an uder. Not always but when I am hungry. I usually have a fire going with a flat rock proped next to it ready for cooking. Man if you ever have a chance cook your fish this way, some of the best cats I have ever eaten were cook this way.

16. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    You wouldn't believe the huge catfish I've seen lately released from tournaments with more spunk then when they were caught!

17. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Since I don't fish tournaments (at this time), I don't have a livewell. A cooler for the eaters, and a camera for the braggers. The camera has cobwebs on it.

18. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    The best way to weigh them on a boat or bank is with a sling. I have seen to many ppl use those spring scales with the hooks in the fish gills. That is the wrong way to use that type of scale. That type of scale should be used with a sling that wraps around the fish to support the whole fish while being weighed.

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    That's the way it should be done if your gonna CPR the fish.

I myself rearly take a pic or put one on a scale and when I do it's because someone else wanted a pic or wanted to know the weight. On a boat I remove hook and return them back to the water. If I'm on the bank lots of times I won't even take them out of the water,if I can remove the hook fairly easy while they are still in the water I do so and watch them swim away. I guess I'm just kind of stuck in the past in a lot of ways when it comes to fish I either eat them or let them go,that's how I've done is all my life. Then one day someone came up with this C&R saying and just about the time I got use to hearing ppl say that yall added another letter in there and call it CPR. LOL

20. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    yeah they might have spunk when you release them, but that doesnt mean they are very spunky an hour later.