Catch dogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by zeboman, Mar 12, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have never tried hog hunting but have friends down south who have.I know they use hounds, what is the best type of catch dogs?

2. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Guys, Luke Clayton here. Go to www.catfishradio.com and click READ LUKES NEWSPAPER COLUMN... I have an article on some west texas houndsmen that I think you will really enjoy. Also floating catfish creek for hogs...

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Great to see they are teaching that young man (tyler) about hunting with dogs. Great story, thanks for sharing.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Down south my buddies run all American Bulldogs for wild bore...they are pretty awesome dogs to watch in armor.

-Jim-

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I wish I'd read this post first Zeboman.

As far as breeds of catchdogs, I'd personally love to own either an American Bulldog, a Dogo, or perhaps a REALLY rough greyhound cross dog. The best catchdog I've ever seen is an AB/dogo cross named Jasper. He's about 80 pounds, has enough leg to shut down a hog that breaks before he hits, which is really rare. This same guy who owns Jasper also has a smaller AB who is nearly always taken on the hunts as well, so he generally has both catchdogs with him at all times. The smaller dog is much younger and is still learning, but he'll nail a hog & does a great job.

I was hunting with this guy one time, and I'd snapped a lead on Jasper while he was catching & pulled him off a hog. All the other dogs turned this little boar loose & he came straight to me. Bad idea, pig! Jasper nailed him and had him caught before this hog even had a chance to get close to me. On another hunt, I was fortunate enough to be at the bay the only time my buddy Paul ever turned Jasper loose & saw him miss. The bad news is that the boar broke and I was standing right in his path of escape. Luckily for me, he missed me by about a foot when he tore out of there & Jasper nailed him about 100 yards away.

I'll see if I can find a pic of those 2 catchdogs.... the bigger one is Jasper, and the little one is appropriately named Littlebulldog.:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Nice lookin` dogs, thanks for telling your story.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive hog hunted most of my life and ive hunted with a lot of different dogs.there is no best cross cause in ever litter you will get some good some not so good and some just aint worth killing.at the end before i got to where i couldnt keep up with my dogs i used walker hound and pitbull crosses.they worked for me and i caught hogs for ranchers in texas.

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Johnnie, I've known several dogmen who ran walker crosses on hogs. All that I have seen have been ROUGH as heck. One guy I hunt with quite often had a whole litter of walker/catahoula crosses. They were phenomenal strike dogs, but were way too rough for their own good. Only one of them lived past 18 months, and he is now the best strike dog that this fella owns. The problem is, he's still gamey as heck. He'll get on a hog and might stay with it for 5 or 6 miles and doesn't care if he has any help with him or not. Anytime that dog hits the ground, he's wearing a tracking collar. He was once lost for 2 weeks. :eek:oooh: It's just hard to keep up with a dog who is that long-ranged in his hunting style. Regardless, he's an unbelievable strike dog & when he's run with some rougher help dogs you can catch a lot of hogs behind him. I'd love to have a dog like him, except with a much shorter range on him. The properties I hunt aren't nearly big enough for a long range dog.

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    personally i like the calahoula currs an rocky mountain currs for bay, an the AB for catch. but that cross jlingle is talkin' bout dont sound half bad.