Catch bullhead catfish now?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by F150Catfish, Feb 27, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Normally I caught them in early April till late September.. well I wonder bullhead biting now in late Feb and early March??? I cannot wait to catch them and cleaning them for dinner!

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    We catch them year round here.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I wouldn't know if they'd be biting. But I do know that if the weather is nice you should give it a try. If the ice just melted drop something thats got a LOT of scent on it and make sure it'll be easy for them to swim to because they're gonna be lazy after winter.

4. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    are those things good eating up north? down here they are not very pleasant tasting. but there are quite a few different species, and we may not have the same. just curious

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    really?? well I always eat them, it's still taste good like as other catfish. In Wisconsin, My dad and I caught alot of big bullhead like 10 to 13 inch, cut the head off and remove guts, just body with tail tip, you can smoke it or fried them. both are taste GREAT!

6. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wouldnt see why you shouldnt be able to catch them. They've got appetites like bluegills, they always seem to be hungry up here. It might be to early in the year to just throw on a huge worm, but I might try and go with some chicken liver. If you dont get a bullhead you might just catch a channel.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    finally, today I went down to Rivanna Reservoir, fishing for 5 hours, caught only two bullhead, no luck for channels.. other guy caught one bullhead too.. well anyway I tried fishing and finally caught some fish this March...