Catch and release

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by shadgutter, Jun 24, 2008.

1. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dose anybody think that there should be a law that any catfish over a certain weight should be released back? what about a bag limit, or size limit? i think any cat over 20lb should be released. we need some restrictions on catfish in this state. just my opion.

2. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know what your local game laws require, but I do agree with catch and release with large fish. Most cats take a long time to reach sexual maturity. The big devils are your breeding stock to ensure you will have fish tomorrow and next year. Take a photo and then let 'em go. Just my $0.02 worth.

3. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
  4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    From a personal standpoint it would be nice to see a weight limit put on keeping catfish...like you said, anything above 20lbs. Only problem is I don't ever see that happening, but I believe there is hope for them to place a creel limit on catfish. The majority of people who fish where I fish that I see catfishing, never really catch the hogs, but they sure do deplete the heck out of the 12-18" cats. It disturbs me to see people leaving my favorite holes with about 20 cats on a stringer.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Here in arkansas we have a limit of 10 cats with a total possesion limit of 20. But we don't have a size limit that you can keep.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Before we start wanting a maximum size limit on catfish I say we demand more research. Would this really be good for the fisheries? We do not know, let the biologist do their job first and determine a good management system. Alot of your oldest cats and not the biggest and they are usually the most efficient at laying eggs (aka, giving their fry a higher survival rate). So maybe a size limit wouldn't be the best option if we are looking to keep numbers up?

I agree that something should be done, I just think we need to find out what exactly that something is.

Another thing to think about: If we limit all catfish to say 20 pounds, what does this do to tournaments? You can't make the law "it's ok to keep the fish for a night, just can't eat them" so tournies would greatly suffer and they are spreading the word of CPR and management more than anybody.

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well When i have fished Monroe for the Crappithon and Bass tournys The fish are weighed and released... If this procedure continues for all other tournys then the numbers should stay good... but i do think that a size limit is nessasary to have the larger fish reproduce larger offspring... But I do agree there should be more research...

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sigh.. Went to a kids birthday party last weekend,, there were kids there from 1 year old to about 10 or 11. They busted a pinata and most the candy fell into a pile directly below it... (like catfish in a river hole) a couple of the bigger, older more experienced kids started stuffing candy into their shirts, pockets etc. one kid looked around found a bag and stuffed it full, then ran to his table, emptied it and ran back, and stuffed the bag full again. By the time it was over, most of the smaller less developed and experience little boys and girls only was able to get a few measly pieces of candy. those older kids parent thought it was funny... I know adult fisherman that behave just like those kids when it comes to keeping fish... it will never end no matter the law,, they will just go to their table and empty their bag and come back for more.... some do it nearly every day until the river holes are emptied leaving everyone else stuck waiting for the next flood to catch a measly fish. I gotta go buy a jet boat just to get away from those folk and be able to catch fish like I used to... I expect that one day even that won't help. Folks that can barely afford to bank fish are screwed.... it's too bad.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    More research is definitely the way to go, I do agree with that. Nothing wrong with taking a mess of catfish, I'm guilty of that pleasure :roll_eyes:. I'm just tired of watching the same people over and over again take large quantities of fish from the same hole and stocking their freezers. I love to have a nice fish fry from time to time, but to me it looks like that's all some of these people eat. Wouldn't they want a change in the daily diet every once in a while?

10. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

By tournies I meant that a maximum size limit would not be good. Think of the Crappiethon tournies (which I have competed in). How much fun would it be if Monroe put a 12 inch maximum fish on the crappie. So if you found the big boys and caught a really nice 15 inch crappie, you had to throw it back and couldn't weigh it because it was over the length allowed. That was my point. If we limit the size of catfish we can have in our possesion, than tournies will take a big hit and I would not have nearly as much fun in them.

11. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    catfish should be treated as a game fish, not a rough fish. size restrictions, is a tough issue. but tighter control on limits would be a great thing. research would also be great. i see many many people keep what ever they catch...you know who im talking about...(foriegn guys) and im talking about ALL species of fish. something needs to be done to protect the monsters, but what that is, i dont know

12. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    No so sure about that one about tournies. All tounies ive ever fish all fish most be alive and turn loose.

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    4) make it illegal for paylake owners to buy fish from private fishermen..a practice that is regularly happening.
    Sincerely
    isnt that already law?
    Isnt commercial fishing already Illegal in Indiana?
    and is this an up holdable method of doing this?

14. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I really don't understand the issue with keeping big fish. Is there supposedly a
    shortage of them? Who's to say? I don't
    believe there's a size limit for hunting
    different animals. Sure,We all would like to
    see the other guy release his big fish so
    that we might catch it ourselves. However I
    don't think it's necessary to mandate it.
    And as far as passing on the big fish's genes,
    certainly it's already been achieved during
    the previous years of that fish's life.
    Until this matter has been studied and deemed
    to be damaging to future fishing I don't
    agree with a restriction on keeping large
    fish. After all, you still see posts and pics
    of BIG fish caught on this site everyday. It's
    not like they seem to be dissapearing!

15. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think anybody eating out of any body of water here in indiana is crazy.Especially after all this rain we have had. The next time you go fishing just pay close attention to the way the water looks and smells it will make you sick especially white river(YUK)! If you want to eat some catfish go to frank and marys in pittsboro its delicious! The grocery store is another good place to try! Hell the reason most people keep the big ones is because they forgot there camera and they hurry home to take a picture and the fish ends up dying. Real fisherman let the fish go!

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    look real close, most of the pictures are the same big fish... maybe a little bigger in one picture then the other THEN some hungry slob guts and eats it. one dude here had a friend that ate an 88 lb state record flathead for christ sakes:eek:oooh:

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    First before I say anything else let me assure you that I know NOTHING about the catfish situation in Indiana!:big_smile:I DO know something about research ,regulation,management and catch and release.CATCH AND RELEASE is a management technique NOT a religion!!!!:smile2:It is not appropriate in all waters and for all situations and in fact can be harmful to some waters.I believe that the future of catfish and catfishing rests on three pillars or foundations.RESEARCH; by the appropriate agencies within the state to develope a firm foundation for MANAGEMENT recommendations including size and or bag limits if appropriate and finally ENFORCEMENT of the regulations.I and a lot of other concerned folks worked hard to get the one fish limit on blues currently in effect at Santee.That limit is appropriate for Santee in order to preserve the trophy fishery it is famous for.I would have liked to include flathead in that regulation but one has to take what one can get.The key to the future is for each state to designate the catfishes as gamefish.In doing so the state then has regulatory capability to set limits as appropriate and manage the fishery.If you are wondering what you can do to help then work towards that goal.None of the Pillars by itself is a very effective system just like you can have all the research data in the world but without management and regulatory capability what good is it.Research by itself never solved anything.CPR right now is pretty much a voluntary thing and it does help,but isnt the be all, end all across the board solution for every body of water.As I previously stated,in some cases it can be harmful.Use that rarest of human commodities, COMMON SENSE as appropriate for your waters.Every single living thing on this earth clings to life with the utmost tenacity so think things through before you take life away.Harvest is an acceptable means of management and no one should feel guilty of taking the allowable for their table.Being a hog is another matter.:eek:oooh::big_smile:

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree though "hog fisherman" seem dominate.
    I truely believe Bass fans are in charge rejecting a size limit or bag limit for catfish because their favored fish are prey to cats of all speicies.... ESPECIALLY flatheads.
    Most bass fisherman fight HARD for C&R education they sure don't want to see their bass eaten by a lowly worthless (to them) Catfish... bet I'm right!

why else reject/ignore such a reasonable passionate request? Why should we even have to request and fight for it seemingly in vain? Again, I suspect bass fisheman are the influence.
    perhaps you can share your story on your success and/or provide us a link to your story? Thanks Bill

20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA