Catch and Release?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Matt77, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    I like to C & R most of the fish I catch. Simply because I don't want to clean them :) and theres that mercury thing too. I caught 15 channels last night. Biggest being close to 4 pounds. I caught him in the stomach. I did retrieve my hook and pulled his stomach up in the process. I pushed it back down with my pliers and let him go. It sat there in shock for about a minute and a 1/2 and then slowly swam away. I don't think hes gonna make it. So my question is: If you gut hook a catfish or any fish for that matter, should you cut your line and leave the hook in there or should you retrieve the hook as careful as you can? Would like some feed back please.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes you are right, he won't make it!!! You should either take it home and clean it or cut the line off and release it. I am all for a man that doesn't waste his resources.
    As far as the lead and mercury thing, a 4lb channel won't have as much as a 10lb channel will, I think that the smaller ones are safer to eat and more plentiful. Not knowing what to do at the time was something that you had no control over, now on the otherhand if you had known and did it anyway that would be a shame.
    Congratulations on a great time fishing, and Welcome to the BOC Brother!!!

3. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    So you think he would survive with a hook in his stomach?

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, most times they will belch them up or the enzimes in their bodies will eat them away. This one of the main reasons "treble" hooks shoulsd not be used.

5. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    was not using a treble hook. was using 2/0 regular hook (wire type)

6. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey buddy,
    Learn about circle hooks. Should you hook one deeply, cut line and pray. contamination in fish is relative to size, eat the little one and enjoy, dan't worry the fish you buy in stores have more than you will get from 5 pounders or less. CIRCLE HOOKS ARE GREAT

7. Vinup22

Vinup22 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Either eat it or cut your line. I think most of them survive. Last year my kids and I were catching some blue gill that I was going to later use for bait. One of them swallowed the hook deep. I cut the line and put him in the bucket. Later I put the blue gill in my bait tank at the house. There it lived until I put it on my hook anyway. But about 3 weeks later or so, I was cleaning my bait tank out and found that hook on the bottom. It must have belched it up...

8. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd just cut the line or fillet it. I love wildlife and hate to see it die aimlessly. I am a carnivore though, but I don't feel bad at all in killing an animal or a fish if it is for food. I still remember the first time as a young kid with a bb gun and a dead bird, felt bad. Sometimes it just happens, but when it is preventable, I try to do my best.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    live and learn, a fish will definatly stand a better chance if you cut your line rather than ripping its guts out. like said they can sometimes get the hook out themselves.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I don't think the fish will "belch it up". I've caught a few fish that had a hook trailing out from their anus though. The hook was mostly gone but the monofilament was totally unaffected. I did find one of those stainless steel hooks embedded in a fish I cleaned, though... the line was hanging out below but the unaffected, bright and untarnished stainless steel hook was still embedded and healed over in the fish's gut.

Don't use the SS hooks in fresh water. They will NEVER rust away.

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Matt, remember, turtles have to eat also.

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Will just made a good point. If you damage a fish and don't want to clean it, just let it go. Mother nature and her little creatures will take care of the damaged fish, that is the way it is.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...If you gut hook a catfish or any fish for that matter, should you cut your line and leave the hook in there or should you retrieve the hook as careful as you can..."

The best thing to do on a gut hooked fish is to quickly cut the line and release the fish. The fish can live if released quickly and allowed to swim back into its naturall environment where it can begin the healing process.

I am sure you have all seen badly deformed fish that have survived attacks from turtles, gar, musk rats and snakes. Animals have to ability to survive if they are left alone to do so.

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    its body will eventually reject the hook. i was once fishing in a pond and was keeping the channels i caught in a floating basket. one had swallowed the hook. the water in this pond was very clear and i had the basket in about a foot of water. an hour later my shiny hook was sitting on the bottom. it only took the fish that long to get it out of its stomach.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    defenatly cut and release. i in my trips keep all gut hooked fish. but since i use circles for cats now its almost a never thing. if you cut cut as far down in the throat as possible. less line will be most likely less harm. and s/s hooks are rather expensive and though most dont they shouldnt be used because of that reason. other steel hooks will eventually corode away and if the fish lives through the hooking hell survive most times. i was cleaning a 4lb channel once that had about an 11/o or12/o kayhle in its throat. rusted up and the cat was still feeding. that hook was as big as my palm lol. thats imo is overkill unless your off the coast.:eek:oooh:

16. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I would cut the line and just release it.