Catch and Release

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by billNpam, Sep 19, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I believe in catch and release unless I am going to eat the fish. But there is sometimes the fish just swallows the whole hook. So the question is what do you guys do.
    1. Attempt to remove the hook
    2. Cut the line and hope the fish some how gets rid of the hook
    3. Or have fish dinner

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Circle hooks will go a long way toward reducing or eliminating instances of swallowed hooks.

I'd sooner take a mortally wounded fish home and have a nice dinner than throw him back and hope he survives. And I'm not convinced that leaving the hook to somehow "dissolve" on its own is a viable alternative.

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I caught a big flattie the other day that swallowed the hook and I just cut the line 6 inches from the hook without even attempting to pull it out. This seems to work well because I do it at the farm pond and you usually wont see them floating the next day unless you tried to pull the hook out. But, for sure if your wanting fish to eat I would take the ones that swallow the hook.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now dog gone it! Stop that! Thats your second post in ten minutes that I am forced to agree with whole heartedly. LOL

Rep's being sent your way Marty, for allowing me to pick on you without you getting upset.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm going to partially agree with Marty, but I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the fish. Bigger fish eat bullheads, bluegill, carp, and gosh knows what else with bigger spines and bones than even my 8/0 circle hooks. Granted, they weren't pulled to shore by their guts like they were by the hook, but they're relatively tough fish. If they can eat (and somehow deal with all those bones in their guts) I think a small hook (especially bronze or regular steel) would be OK if left in them undisturbed. Smaller fish that were feeling ambitious and swallowed a big hook are probably toast, in my opinion. Fish that are gill hooked (almost never on a fish I'd feel bad about keeping with circles) would go in the grease regardless. It'd be like me trying to live after one of my kids removed part of my lung with a spoon on the river bank.....:smile2:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You aint right, brother. Me thinks someone forgot their meds today. LOL

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    For what it's worth:

In-fisherman has done studies that show that the stomach acids can dissolve the hooks enough for the fish to pass them. They also found that northern pike can survive with one gill. Although, gill-bleeders usually come home with me. I don't know... great disussion though.

8. mbodner

mbodner New Member

State:
    kansas
    i would rather cut the line and leave the hook in his mouth even if he bleeding bad.i cought a 3-4lb channel and he swallowed my hook so i cut .i could barley see the eye of my hook.about a week later i cought that exact same fish,and he seemed to be doing fine at least he was still eating.this was before i started using circle 3 years ago.this was in wheatherby lake kcmo.

9. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i read in Outdoor life that you should leave the hook because stomach juices will dissolve the hook in a very short time.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I caught a 3lb bass last week and he had a cut line hanging out of his hind end. I didn't need any bass in the freezer so I let him go. It would have been interesting to cut him open to see what the hook condition was but I didn't need him. I did cut the line leaving a 1' tag so he had no chance of hanging up somewhere.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Who is teaching your kids to do this, LMAO!!!!

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nobody, now see if they had medical training I'd have a chance at survival and it would defeat the point I was trying to make...:smile2:

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That's not the act of a child...more like an ex.:wink:

14. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    If they are gill hooked I keep them. If they swallowed the hook and it did serious damage I keep it. If the hook was swallowed with minimal damage he goes back in. If they are over 10 lbs I put them back unless damaged. Other wise they go in the freezer.

15. Fishin Freak

Fishin Freak New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i would rather make fish dinner then take the chance of letting the fish go to waste.

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I wonder how long a very short time is. I've been using kahle hooks for many years now and have never gut hooked a fish. In fact, they almost always hook through the corner of the mouth. Gotta wonder though how long a bronze or stainless hook would take to dissolve in anything. And if you use Gamawhateverthenameis hooks, they are huge diameter hooks compared to most kahle's or regular hooks. I too release all fish over about 10 lbs. And I would cut the line short as possible and leave the hook too if I had to. And just hope for the best. But I don't believe for a second that those hooks dissolve fast at all. I've caught many fish with hooks in their throat or down their gut. So I believe they can live, but who knows how many do live. In my opinion, In-Fisherman hasn't even been in existence long enough to do a real test on a stainless hook. Outdoor life? Maybe. LOL

17. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use circle hooks on every pole(at least a 7/0 hook), and usually the only time I have a fish swallow a hook it is a flathead while I'm fishing a lake with no current. These fish were big enough that I could fit my hand in their mouth, so I use something (knife, scissors, wire cutters) and cut the leader right at the eye of the hook and make sure the fishes stomach goes back down the gullet. They all seemed fine and I think they survived but I guess you can't be for sure. I have also read that the fishes stomach will get rid of a hook pretty fast( as long as it isn't stainless). If I were keeping fish to eat already I guess I would keep the ones that swallowed the hook, but I won't keep one just because it swallowed the hook if it isn't bleeding and seems okay to release.

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I agree with Mr. T.

19. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I once cleaned an eater that had the shank and eye of a hook, with about 6" of mono coming out of his anus. The bend and point were completely rusted away. It still looked plumb uncomfortable.

20. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A funny thought came to me!!! Can you imagine you or a fish trying to pass a hook?:eek:oooh: How does fishes stomach know when to pass the hook? I mean you eat you digest you pass but a hook? :confused2:Does the stomach say hay you can't pass yet cause you got a 4/0 hook in there? Does the anus signal the fish's stomach?:smile2: Yelling not yet!!!!!!!!:embarassed: