Catch and release

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tufffish, Apr 10, 2007.

1. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    nowdays i do release a lot more fish than i used to. i still keep the freezer full but am a lot more selective on what i keep. i do think a lot of people are trying to push the release of fish a little to much. they are a resource that can be used and it replenishes itself rather good. what are some of you alls thoughts on this.

2. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I will let the real big cats go but I wish I knew the survival rate. I think most of the big fish will die after a long fight.So are we helping or are we wasting the fish?

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I release most, though I do keep some small ones for the occasional meal.
    I really should be keeping more and fill the freezer during the summer months. I guess I fish for the fun more than for the food.

4. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Except for when my son is here from Missouri and we have a fish fry, or someone ask for some fish, I always catch and release. Well maybe not the bream/bluegill I use for bait, but then again, they do eventually get released. I prefer to have the opportunity to catch the nice ones more than once. It is getting hard to convince people of this. "What, you spend how much on fishing equipment and then you let the fish go". Some people just do not understand the whole experience.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i could talk forever about this, so i won't. i posted a thread a while back if you get bored you can read it.. its at partners at the top. in tournament talk...called cpr for your fish. thanks for the posts supporting catch and release.:smile2:

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i support catch and release but i like to eat fish. I believe that no one can demand me to release a fish that is legal to keep. If i catch a 30lb flathead he will get eaten unless i have a freezer full of fish already. Some may think that is wrong, and theyt can think that all they want, but there are plenty of fish that size in most of the waters that i fish. Dont think that i keep all my fish, i release alot too. 2 good days of fishing stocks my med. sized freezer. I replenish it every 3 months or so when we have eaten all the fish.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I practice CPR. I would never keep a fish over 10 #. I want mine and your grandchildren to enjoy catfishing in the future. If your hungery and need the meat for food I understand that also.Delibertly killing reproductive fish should be a no no to all sportsman. I once saw a fisherman with 10 large flatheads laid out on a truck bed. I asked him what he was going to do with all the fish. He stated" I had a good trip and want a bragging picture." He didn't eat fish.

8. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va

i support catch and release,a release everything, but thats just the way i am. i see no reason keeping a 30lb cat, i think u need to because how are the little cats going to get bigger when larger ones are eating there young.

9. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Go back a few days and read the post ,4 flatheads in a truck. Talk about opinions .
    I see nothing wrong about eating a fish you caught, and a bigger flathead is the tastest fish you can eat , anyway out of the waters I fish .
    I worked all my life ,now I'm retired and can go fishing ,I'll make my own decisions (legal) on catch and release. Thankyou !!

10. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    now that we have a lot of opinions going, has anyone talked to a biologists to see for sure if and when catch and release helps catfish. remember that cats reproduce real well and the bigger ones eat a lot of small ones to stay big. maybe we have a fish biologists who can chime in on this.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well in the course of my fishing I have sought the opinions of many fish biologists particularly those at Santee.First proper handling and care of large catfish prior to release pretty much insures their survival.Burp them if they come from deep water and release them dont heave them back in the water.Make sure they are out of the water the minimal time necessary,and handled the least amount to protect their slime.Use an old carpet on the bottom of your boat in the summer and keep it wet prior to removing hooks etc.Boat floors get to hot to walk on and dumping a catfish on the hot bottom damages the slime coat immensely.Secondly, CPR is a MANAGEMENT technique and NOT a religion!!!:smile2: Putting fish back can actually harm some waters.Right now biologists and guides at Santee feel that all the smaller ( 20-) catfish should be kept.Release the trophys but fill you freezer with the smaller fish.As the biomass of fish is depleted of all the larger trophies,several smaller fish move in to fill the void.This causes stunting of all the fish and they can never reach their full potential because of the competition for the available forage.This often happens in ponds.This is precisely what happened to the trophy striper fishery at Santee.So follow your conscience,if you dont like fish or dont eat them then CPR.If you want to eat them and cant catch sufficient smaller fish then keeping a big one occasionally wont hurt most fisheries.Finally I would say to those that feel they should keep and kill all the law allows because the resource can reproduce itself, go outside your door and count all the buffalo you can see.That is the same thinking that lead to their demise.The assumption that any re newable resource can maintain itself under tremendous pressure and unlimited harvest has been proven falable way to many times to hold it as a basic truth.Wise use and management has proven to be very effective in providing for the future which I'm sure we all want to do.:smile2:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i like waleyes best of all.i like flatheads next.my flats that i keep are from 10 to 15 lbs.i release all cats over 15 lbs.not cause its wrong or rite thing to do but because i cant eat that much fish at one time.i dont freeze my fish i like it fresh.it may not be catfish all the time but i can usually catch enough for me and my wife any time.i have no problem with people who eat 30 or 40 lb.flatheads.these fish eat 10 or 15 lb.flatheads so keep all you want but eat all you keep.

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like this post. Very informative. I was not saying that i keep all the law will allow, but i do like to keep some fish. If ur waters are hurting for fish, then CPR is probably a good idea. I try not to fish waters that have low fish numbers (less chance of bite and more guilt if i keep one)

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    For those that like to keep their fish, I have no problem with that. As long as they are not wasted, that is my primary beef!!!
    I and other like minded folks will continue to do what we do (release fish), so you and other like minded people can do what you do (eat fish)!!! We are balancing it out amongst ourselves!!!

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hello everyone, let's keep this age old discussion civil now if you please. This is a very explosive subject and I'd hate to see it explode right on off the board. LOL So please watch how you type your messages. Thanks.

16. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ive seen people I know catch a fish I would be very proud to take home and throw them in to there freezers only to be thrown away after "being in there too long". This is what I cant stand. If I take it home you can bet it will be eat'n. I thank the people that cpr big fish so the rest of us can enjoy catching a big one of our own. I also love to eat fish and will continue to do a little of both.