Catch and Release???

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by MMloy, Oct 7, 2009.

1. MMloy

MMloy New Member

State:
    NC
    I want to know how many of you catfishermen out there practice catch and release and why? If we continue to keep what we catch - what are we going to be catfishing for in the future? How long does it take for a flathead to get 50 pounds and 40" long? I think we all need to do more CPR..Catch, Photo and Release...Seems to me that the catfish are getting much smaller in weight and decreasing in volume of catches. Am I missing something here???? I want my daughter to be able to catch a monster of a fish and feel proud to let it go.....just wondering and thinking of doing something about it!

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Always CPR over 10 pounds.
    Keeping all big breeders is detrimental to the species. At present rates of human activity , there will be none remaining in 50 - 100 years.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catch and release to catch again.

Catch and grease to never see again.

I relase all catfish regardless of size, catfishing has exploaded in popularity, if some of did not realease them, there would not be many left.

I release the big flatheads so they can spawn.

I release the small flatheads so they can grow big!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Excellent post!

This will probablly turn into an argument, because non cpr fishermen dont like having cpr jammed down there throat as they call it.

But to me it is simple, turn lose the breeders to have more fish for the future.

I just take it a step farther to even releasing the small fish so they can turn into breeders:big_smile:

I want to set on the bank with my 2 year old son in 5 years and have a chance at catching a trophy fish.

But the netters and illegal harvesting of trophy fish to sell, is probably doing more damage, than fishermen keeping everything they catch.

But every little bit helps.

I know Cpr works, I caught the same flathead 3 years in a row, I know it was the same fish because of a deforemed upper jaw..The fish gained 5 -lbs and went from 37-lbs to 42-lbs in 3 years.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think "most" SC BOC members CPR their fish, especially the bigger ones. We all realize the importance of releasing the bigger fish that carry the big genes to produce future monsters. I really haven't noticed much, if any decrease in big fish. They are out there.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I throw back alot of fish just because I don't eat that many fish. I take a few here and there to eat. But what is the point of keeping every fish I catch. They would just get freezer burnt and wasted. And there needs to be fish to breed. So I throw back most of them so I can catch them again.

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I beg to differ!

Where is this "there" you speak of?:smile2:

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    you guys need to get smart a fisherie needs big fish an little fish but it has to be controled if not the fish will over popolate an the result will be a lot of little fish dont take my word check it out in the meantime im eating some of my fish of any size i want the roundhill:angry::angry:

9. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with that. It has been proven that an uncultivated fish population produces lots of small fish,but it has also been proven that large fish produce offspring with the same genetics. So scientific data has shown results with releasing large fish to keep a healthly population of large fish. Just look at the state of Texas largemouth breeding program.

I keep what I plan on eating but prefer to release the big ones. None the less, its not my place to tell any one else how or what to do.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i throw back almsot everythign i catch...my dad eats EVERYTHING he catches..plenty of his left for me lol oughta see the look on hsi face when i toss em abck in though its great..kinda like pissed off and the "your f6895in retarded" look

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i eat a few flatheads under 6#s all the bigger ones go back. two reasons for this one has been explained on here already,genetics. the other reason being the pollution. the bigger the fish the more toxins in it! amazing to me the people that feed trophy size cats to their families:sad2: some people will never get it i guess? i was raised to eat whatever i caught, but have learned to be a selective harvester.

12. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I never freeze a fish,so I only keep enough to eat that evening or whatever.And I dont always keep fish.I absolutely never keep any bigger fish.As for being enough fish around...."There" are many many cats in the Santee Cooper system.....probably too many.It absolutely cannot be a good thing to not harvest some fish.Nature has to have a balance....too
    many is not good either.Commercial fishing is far far more damaging than
    recreational anglers....no one can argue that.

13. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I release about 99% of all fish I catch... I'm just too dang lazy to clean em...

Once in a while, I'll give em away if it looks like somebody that really needs a meal

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    To be honest it depends on if I feel like cleaning fish or not . If so I will keep em . I usually dont catch many over 20 pounds and most are 5 to 6 pounds . When I do catch a bigger one it is usually the only one or two I have caught so I chuck em back in . I will always let flatheads go . When I keep cats they are always channels . If I dont have more the 5 on the stringer or in the live well I will release them .

Now trout fishing is a different story . I will release all them in a hot pan of grease .:wink:

15. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Why do I release?:confused2: well one reason i only keep what i'm going to eat and certain times of the year and on certain waterways i really don't want to eat the fish. Some of the waterways are really not fitting. Companies release what they want, when they want and nobody does anything about it. About 20 + yrs ago they had a spill in the Saluda River that took ox. from the water and it killed thousands and thousands of stripers in the river. It was during the spawn run and you couldn't see nothing but dead fish as far as you could see. The water has cleared but the fish on Murray was hurt due to that spill. When i'm in Cedar Creek fishn and see the stuff floating down the river (tolit paper, crap, tampons, etc..) i kinda lose interest in eating the fish. Lake Wylie had a spill a few yrs ago and the county even issued a warning on eating the fish. I'm sure the water has cleared by now, but you can kinda get my drift. I still fish those waters and release my fish unless someone with me wants them. After eating more fish than most, i just don't seem to want them as often as i use to. I fish to pull in the largest fish in the Lake that i fish. He gives me a good battle and far as i'm concerned he values his life as much as i do mine, so off back into the waters that he calls home. To fight another day. I love to tournament fish and to take others that have never caught a big fish. To see the smile that comes on there face. Maybe to even change them from bar hopping, into a catfisherman and maybe, even to a fisher-of-men:big_smile: The good Lord gave us all these things to use wisely, if we don't, then we may lose them.

16. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I practice CPR alot only keeping 1-5 lbers every once in a while.... My personal opinion I think there should be a 1 fish over 30 inches per person per day... Alot of states are following this law.... For ex: Lake norman in the 1980's everyone was keeping 5-10 stripers a day like it was nothing, then 15 years later you are lucky to get 10 fish in the boat all day long thats over 3 lbs.

So nature has a way of balancing the eco-system out.... The worst thing to happend to a fishery is human interaction.

I for see santee being a Lake norman in 10-15 years... I can't tell you how many times I see a boat pulling up with 300 lbs or more of cats... Why do you really need that much fish?

So I see it if I'am that poor and I have too keep everthing I caught then I should sell my boat buy a 100 dollar single shot shot gun and start hunting again.... :wink:

17. tha ''GUTBUCKET''

tha ''GUTBUCKET'' New Member

State:
    GASTONIA,NC WYLIE
  18. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I for see santee being a Lake norman in 10-15 years (quote)

Brother Santee is already there. they did do a 1 fish at 36inch rule but way to late:angry:

19. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I know it's close to being there... I always fished santee once a year untill 2005 then not till 2009 few times a month after I moved to Sc. I noticed a big change thats why I look more to midlands lakes and rivers, I weather take a trip for the weekend back home in tn than santee... 25+ catfish and 25+ striper!!!!

20. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I do what's called selective harvest. If I go after catfish, I let anything over 4 or 5 pounds go. I don't know why people keep those fish anyway--big muddy tasting fish full of mercury, PCBs, and only God knows what else.

The greatest channel cat fishery on earth (Red River Manitoba) also has the strictest catch-n-release regulations on earth. There is no coincidence there. In fact, I'm willing to bet that all decent cat rivers in our country used to be more like the Red River than they are now.

Minnesota waters have a 5 fish limit, only 1 over 24", and only two can be flathead regulation--and that includes what's in your freezer. The MN catfish rivers that I've fished are exponentially better than Iowa's (my home state) and that is because in Iowa everyone always keeps everything they catch and throw it in their truckbeds....:eek:oooh: