Catch and release survey

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by foreverflathead, May 2, 2006.

1. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hi
    I was just wandering how many of you practice catch and release? If you do what size limit do you usually release? I dont generally keep anything over 5 or 6 pounds, because around here it seems like big ones are hard to come by and want to give other anglers a chance to experience a nice catch also.

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I'm with you on this one.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I thought I was a release anything over 10lb.
    but a couple weeks ago I let a 9lb channel go. It might have been different if I hadnt had a 3.5 and a 5lber in the boat already.
    thanks
    Larry

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I release probably 98% of the fish I catch. Every now and then I keep a few 2-3 lbers to eat, but usually realease everything. Just in it for the sport.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Since my wife doesnt like fresh fish :waaaht: I catch and release almost everything I catch.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'm just like ryang and tea...I let everything go unless there is some hungry looking people standing around licking their lips. lol ... at least I hope their licking their lips cause their hungry.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The rule in my boat is anything 20 lbs or over is going back in the water. Not sure my brother or dad like that rule, but it's my boat... :smile2:

Of course, we haven't come close to catching anything that big yet, so it's more of a "if it ever happens" rule.

I generally won't keep the small ones unless somebody with me really wants them to eat and they're willing to clean them - I like to eat catfish but not very often so don't keep that many myself.

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I've released everything for the last 10+ years but I kept some crappie a week ago on a whim and ate them and I am going to do it again! Cats, I think I'm going to keep only a couple 2 lb size fish a week and try them. I'll get tired of cleaning fish again and release every thing again for 10+ years and then try them again.

9. AdamL

AdamL New Member

State:
    NC
    most of the time im fishin for big cats and release all of them that i catch. if i want catfish to eat i generally keep nothing over 10 pounds.

10. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i mostly realease all unless im planning on having a small fish fry with family or sumthing
    every now and then give some away as long as they plan on cleaning :)

11. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Personaly I like to keep the smaller ones when the fellets are running low. Other than that I usually through them back I kept my last biggest fish (46 pound flat) and I did not think it ate as well as a little bullhead or 3-15 pound flat or channel. I do practice catch and release with the biggens.

12. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I normally release all fish I catch. On a very rare occasion, I'll keep a few but nothing heavy. My rule is Flats and blues over 10lbs stay, and chjannels over 5lbs stay. Anything under is fair game in my book.

13. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Around 8lbs is my limit, or how much room I have left in my cooler. Most of my fishing is done on the Obion River about a mile and a half across the bottoms from my house. I'm limited by the size of cooler I can strap on my little 250 Recon.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been catfishing for appx 30 years, and I have released every catfish I have caught, big or small..I think Mellon has also release the two catfish he has caught.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    LOL!!! Mellon takes another beating!:lol: :lol: :big_smile: :roll_eyes:

I firmly believe in the CPR process. All Flatheads get released automatically. 99% of the time Channels are released but I do intend to have a fish fry some night this summer using Channel Cat fillets. No large Channels, just some average size ones. We don't have Blue Cats here in Pa. (wish we did).

16. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I usually release everything I catch unless some puts a bug in my ear about how they would sure like a nice mess of cats to eat. 10 lbs or bigger goes back no matter what!

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You mean he has actualy caught 2 fish to release :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: , LOL!!!

18. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, I guess I am the oddball. I release anything under 10 pounds with flats. Give them a chance to grow up. I dont want to eat any babies. The biggers ones get culed as to freezer content. I keep enough fish on ice to feed about 25 people at any time. The rest are subject to a later hookset. I release all channels and blues. I dont like the meat as well. My son, however at 12 years of age, wants to keep them all. I ussually let him keep 5 fish that he has caught per day. He gets to choose the fish he wants. He is into channel cat more than me, Mabey cause fishing is faster!!!!!!

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I release all my catfish except a few bullheads that I'll keep for bait

20. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i release every thing under 124lbs for blues and not sure if i would try to keep one over. so it dont look like im going to be keeping any. i see nothing wrong with fisherman keeping some to eat but im too lazy to clean them i guess. id rather clean on the boat to get ready to go back.