catch and release possum!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Jul 3, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the wife and i took the kids out toad hunting after a good rainstorm. we drive the roads and all the toads we catch go in the garden. i hate using pesticides if i can avoid it. well we were cruising along and up in the headlights i see a big old possum trotting down the road. the girls have never seen one up close so i jumped out to chase it down. well when he realized what was going on he ran right at me, haha. my wife started getting worried, and i gave the possum the boot. well he hits the ground and came right back at me. i grabbed him by the tail and it was on, haha. i wanted to grab him behind the head but i know they have loose skin there and he could probably turn and get me. so i held on and probably couldn't have let go if i wanted to, because his tail had wrapped around my hand! i let the girls get a look at him while he was spinning around trying to bite. it was all great fun. i have yet ANOTHER crappy cell phone pic, man i need to get another digital camera! i pitched him off the road after i got the tail off my hand, and he came back for more, haha. my wife got kind of spooked that he was going to get in the vehicle and go crazy. i got in quick and shut the door, and he stood there hissing and growling. i left him there all ticked off to 'fight' another day.

Attached Files:

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, :cool2:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Jordan, I wish we had a video of that scene. Sounds like we'd be laughing as much as you were telling the story :smile2:.

Better you than me though, think I'll refrain from grabbin' big ole possums by the tail. :eek:oooh:

4. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    Man I hate those things but my Grandad loved them loved to eat them that is:confused2:

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have eaten possum, it's pretty darn good too. BUT a few years back me and my buddy were shooting varmints around the farm at night, when i blasted a big old skunk. i mean really took him apart. we ran to town to get gas and came back the same way a few hours later, and that skunk had turned into a romantic meal for two possums. i got them both and swore off eating possum! i had always heard it was real greasy, but the stuff i had wasn't. more like chewy pork shoulder. either way, i won't eat anything that eats a skunk.

6. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    possum sure do have some big teeth but it didnt stop my brother in law from grabbing one by the tail like you did one night heres a pic

Attached Files:

7. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Trick to possums. Keep em for a couple of weeks penned up feed em table scraps, milk, fruit, bread. Fattens em up and cleans em out.

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    those things are nasty mean things i tell ya what how cant believe yall picked em up by the tail thats crazy, but kinda sounds like fun! well thanks for a good story

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    guess he wasn't interested in playing possum lol :eek:oooh::smile2:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive grabbed them like that all the time growing up. I also grabbed rattlers like that. Now coons are a different story. They will tear ya up, bad.

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Possum CPR LOL ! :smile2: