Catch and Release, limits

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by photocat, Dec 8, 2005.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i was reading a post in the VA section about what size cats people keep and where the line is for throwing the fish back. It inspired me to see where people across the country are setting the limits on when to practice Catch, Photograph, Release (CPR). What is the largest fish that you'll keep?

Me personally, i tend not to keep any of the catfish i catch unless i know im going to eat it w/ in the next few hrs or days. and even then i only keep fish between 1 and 3 lbs. Anything over 10 gets put back as soon as i get the picture. If it is a record i usually have a bucket id use to get it to a larger container to be taken to the weigh station.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just have to ask, just how big is this bucket you plan on useing to carry a record catfish to your larger container? As far as keeping them. I don't keep hardly any cats I catch on rod and reel. If its bank lines I'll keep them all. I only use bank lines though when I have a planned fish fry and need fish.

3. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I just keep enough for a couple of meals.Pan size 14 to20 inch.Others go back.Channel Cats only so far.Just enjoy being out on the water.
    If we are having a fish fry I buy farm raised because of the eating restrictions the state has imposed.Just to play it safe.
    Bill

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Anything over 20lbs gets released and sometimes everything does. Just depends on if I need some fish in the freezer or not.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Unless I'm really hard up for some catfish to eat, I throw back everything over 10#. I don't like to keep anything under about 1 1/2# unless I plan to cook it whole, because the fillets are so thin that they're hard to cook. Unless you get the oil smoking hot, by the time the cornmeal turns golden, the fillet is overcooked. At the other extreme, a fillet from a 10# fish is too thick to fry properly, but you can solve that problem by cutting it lengthwise into two pieces.

6. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I rarely keep any fish I catch. I just love the experience that is fishing (sitting on a boat, on a bank, on the beach, or in an ice house with some buddies, enjoying a cold one or 2). I don't trust the pollutants in the river systems, so I am kind of afraid of what's absorbed into the catfish I catch. I must say though that fresh catfish is some tasty food!

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Looks like I am with the majority. I never keep cats over about 10#, and I prefer cats in the 1-4# range. In my opinion, they are the best tasting.

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    any Oppelousas cat over about three lbs is going in my freezer. channels and blues in the three to ten lb range ill keep for eaters too but really prefer the Opps.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I'm with you, We take pics of anything over 10# and let'er go. But, anything under that is good eatin'......

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For me 100% C-P-R
    If I want some catfish to eat, I'll go buy it.

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love catfish that I CPR! :p

Catch
    Photo
    Release in the Grease!!!

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I release all the catfish I catch from rivers. When I want to catch some for the table there is a very nice and clean lake in southeast Kansas that I go to. it has a very healthy channel cat population. even then I only keep cats under five lbs, and we are only allowed to keep two a piece. Good eatin man.

13. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I dont keep or eat many fish,i will keep any crappie i catch and dont use for bait and on occasion i might keep a couple flatties in the 2-10# range.

14. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I seldom have the problem of deciding what to do with my catch. Seems like I do more fishing than I do catching. :crying:

15. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    That is an easy question fo rme to answer: I keep what is going to be eaten. As all my partners know most trips out all fish go back. If I am planning on eating some or have someone who does not fish request some from me then I will select the best of my catch typically 3-7lb fish and only keep that which will be eaten.

-Brian

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catch and release all cats for me...

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i keep all i am going to eat or stock in frezer for the fish fry, after i have enough in frezer for the yearly fry, then i releaseunless fish is on the menu for the night. i keep blues, channels, largemouth bass,stripers, blue gills ( if any size ), spoonbills an crappies. al other fish carp, gar, drums i dont eat an go right back in water. i would keep a flatty but have never cought one but then again i dont fish for them ( yet anyways ). i do keep any size if i intend on eating though. i fry all my fish in nuggets besides crappie. an pre soak all fish in lemon juice over night that realy helps with getting the realy fishy tast out of the small cats.

18. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    newatcats, just an idea here, but if your smaller sized cats have a bad fishy taste then id say your eating bullheads and no wonder, yuck. if youre sure its channels or blues that still have an off flavor then perhaps the problem is where youre fishing, maybe a problem with the local water. try another fishing hole.

fresh fish should never taste fishy.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Corn where have you been?Still have the same fishing success I see.Good to see you back on with us,we have missed all those fish you don't catch!!!!!

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I keep enough to feed three people, no more. don't care much for cats over 5lbs. As for little ones tasting fishy, its always been the big ones that have a stronger flavor to me. Cats of a pound or so don't really seem to have much flavor at all, other than the seasoning.