catch and release kind of guy

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by fishstick, Jul 26, 2008.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    I am 55 years old and have been a fisherman since I was 6 years old. There is nothing like the thrill of feeling a fish on your line be it big or small. I guess everyone has the dream of catching that big one. I have caught big bass, catfish, and rough fish all my life and would haul them around and show my friends the big one that I had caught. Now that I am older and realize that these big ones are a rarity and take many years to reach this size I know that we as fisherman have to protect these trophys from becoming a thing of the past. You don't want to eat these older fish. You want the young tender ones. Take a picture and put them back. Some of these fish take 20 years to grow to trophy size.
    Arkansas needs to adopt the law that Tennessee has and restrict the size of catfish that you can keep especially commercial fishermen and their hoop nets.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Bill, welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

Yep, CPR and selective harvest is a good thing:wink:

3. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Bill first welcome to the BOC, i have met some great lifelong friends on here. second if they did restriced the size of catfish you could keep . sighn me up -anything over five lbs goes back for me -I practice CPR(catch-picture-release)

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    Thanks to all for the welcome, I went on a guided blue cat trip out of Memphis Tenn. On the Mississippi river in Tenn and bordering Arkansas the law requires everyone to release any cat over 34 inches. I too don't keep anything I don't want to eat which is rarly and 1 to 3 lb fish are all I keep.

5. tooncatter

tooncatter New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I agree with all the above. When I was younger I would keep any and all. I will have to give the bass tournaments credit, they started me looking at it different. I learned when releasing a nice fish that it really left you with a nice feeling.
    Billy

6. 12pack

12pack New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I think a max of 5lbs is a good size limit, but my fishing partner with the boat likes to go with 7lbs. None-the-less, in our last 3 trips we've released 3-8's, 3-9's, 2-10's, 1-11, 2-12's, 1-13, 1-20, 1-22 & 1-23. The ones we've kept in those same 3 trips averaged about 4.5 lbs each. :big_smile:

7. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC.

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    :smile2:and keep practicing CPR on the big ones at least.:wink:

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    First Welcome to the BOC, Glad to have you. I agree with Arkansas adopting a size limit on the big cats and have been reading on how to go about getting it in front of someone that can pass it. I cpr nearly every cat I catch, If I do decide to keep one now and then I will keep one under 10 lbs. I dont eat alot of fish, never have, but love to catch them.