CATCH AND RELEASE AND OR KEEP ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by twisted, May 16, 2009.

1. twisted

twisted New Member

i often wonder how the population suffers from the amount of fishing my area sees.when i go fishing some of the spots are over run with people all day.ive seen people hull garbage bags of fish away(all kinds).

i do keep fish but i dont keep all.i know people who keep everything and to some point it bothers me.

that along with all the trash people leave has me wondering just how much longer the fishing will be good.

im no tree huger but i do believe in keeping a balance.selective fishing etc.what you bring in,bring out and if you can someone elses crap too.

am i few and far between ?

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I don't keep all my fish. CPR all big uns:wink:

3. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Dont keep as many as I used to. Most go back unless I want a mess to eat. As far as trash I take all I can when I see it. So your not alone.

I dont think many people (outside of guys you see on fishing sites) CPR. Most of the people I know who fish for cats eat what they catch. Only guys who CPR are the ones on sites such as this one and tourny guys.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i only keep eater size and thats only if i dont already have enough in the fridge,all big boys id rather put back to make more big ones,one big problem i have is going fishing and the bank looking like a land fill that really gets in my craw.

5. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    if were having a fish fry we keep channels but not flatheads.... otherwise we let everything go

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I only keep fish if I want a mess to eat. Dont get me wrong I love to eat fish. But if you keep everything you catch. I believe that hole will run out of fish. But on the same note if a person stays within the laws there is no problem. As far as the trash goes. IT makes me mad:angry: if people dont pick up after them selves. Very shelfish imo.

Tom

7. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have got to admit that I have had the idea of "if I caught a big one I would keep it". However fishing with catmankev I am starting to see the beauty of CPR. In one day I beat my personal best twice. But, I just did not want to keep them. I got pictures of me with them both and looking back I am happy. My only regret is not getting more pics...:big_smile:

8. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I keep a few channels under #5 every now and then. There is only two small lakes I will keep them from. Both lakes are state parks and are stocked every year. Another reason I only keep fish from those areas is the water quality. A lot of the other places I fish have health advisories warning you not to eat the fish.
    People that leave their trash behind are so selfish and worthless. They ruin the area for other people. What really gets me is when the bank of a lake or river is full of trash and yet there will be a trash can just a few yards away. Its not hard to pick up after, I learned how to do by the time I started kindergarten.

9. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I keep the fish I intend to eat CPR the rest. The trash problem is worse on the banks but there are also some slobs out in boats as I have seen bottles and stuff floating around. Just gets in your craw if you know what I mean.

10. twisted

twisted New Member

yea the trash thing is a big problem. if the bank looks like that i wonder what it looks like under water ?

with out trying to sound to ignorant, whats does CPR mean ? i know its catch and release but i cant wrap my head around the "P" :confused2:

11. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    CPR=Catch, Photo, Release.
    It also took me a while to figure out what the p stood for when I heard it.

12. twisted

twisted New Member

ah, i feel a bit stupid now ;)

13. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I release most everything, but sometimes I keep some eaters.

14. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Depends on if I fell like cleaning them or if the freezer stock is getting low.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    We will keep some channels every now and then . Nothing over 10 pounds . We never keep flatheads or blues hoping to let them get bigger . Asw far as trash we will pick it up and put it in the barrel . At our regular spot people leaving trash has slowed greatly .

16. twisted

twisted New Member

last nigh we went.fishing started slow but we caught a good amount of cats by nights end. the biggest was 5lbs and another 4lb. all were released. i got one pic of the 4lb cat.

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WHEN I GOT FISHING ITS MAINLY TO CATCH DINNER !!!

BUT IF I MERIACIOUSLY CATCH A 10-15-20-25 LB CHANNEL ON PREMO I WOULDNT KEEP IT.......

MEATS TOO TOUGH AND HES BEEN AROUND THAT LONG, LET THE THNG GO AND GETHIM AGAIN WHEN HES 40LBS!!!!!:wink:

ALSO LET THE PREGOS BACK AND THE 1/2 LB TO 2 LBERS GO (TO LITTLE MEAT):wink:

THATS ME OPINION:smile2:

LeRoy

18. Raven

Raven New Member

State:
    alabama
    I keep eating size ARMS LENGTH, EVERYTHING ELSE GOES BACK! Much to some of the kids heart felt horror.

I dream of catching WHOPPER size one and hopefully I will have my camera and record my Prize.... Then back in the water he will go to become someone elses prize..

Yes Some areas are truely over fished and some do not care about limits or size... How sad:sad2:

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Still to this day, I dont see why anyone would want to keep a catfish over 10 pounds to eat. Maybe Im just missing something here.

20. twisted

twisted New Member

sleekcraft, you bring up a good point. how do you tell the pregnant ones from a non pregnant one, or for that matter, male form female ?

we catch alot of cats with huge guts and i just assume they are eating alot.