Catawba

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CKT, Feb 16, 2007.

1. CKT

CKT Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    Is the Catawba good for Cats in the warmer months ?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I prefer the Vignoles, myself.

3. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    catalpa worms work pretty good and they work a little better if you cut their heads off and turn them inside out with a match stick or something or just use your hook to turn them inside out while you're puting them on the hook.

they show up around the same time every year here in oklahoma or just a little before the yellow grasshoppers come out ... july 14th is about when the yeller grasshoppers emerge and when you catch them off johnson grass or alfalfa they're a lot better ... seasonal bait though ... I've tried them at other times of the year and never caught anyhing on them. you can freeze grasshoppers and such in corn meal and they look as fresh as the day you put them in there but I think freezin them takes the goody out of them like it does with any other bait.

I use shad most 100% of the time now and bluegill and cut buffalo when I can get one. I haven't made an effort to get catalpa or grasshoppers the last few years because I really didnt fish where they'd work the best like below the dam on a float out by an open sluice gate. there are certain circumstances that they work better than other times but shad always works.

if you want to know more about catalpa worms just do a search on google for "catalpa trees"

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a catalpa tree in my yard, so I do utilize the worms on occasion. They seem to work better in a pond, or community lake. Channel cats do love them. I haven't had much luck with them in an open water situation yet like a big lake or river.

5. When the water temp get to be aroung 75-80 degress it is a very good idea to switch to softer baits. I dont know why they like it so much but they do.

Also what time of year do these Catapla worms come out?????

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Are you talking about the Catawba River or the catalpa worm? :confused2:

The answer is yes for either. There are tons of cats in the Cataba River system and spring is prime time. Catalpa worms are a great bait for channels.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hooda Thunk? Cept someone from NC?

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Dang y'all, there ya go insulting Keith about his spelling, and there was no problem with it :lol:! This probably does need to be in local NC talk so as not to cause any more confusion. The Catawba chain lakes are where I normally fish, and yes Keith, you can catch cats during the warmer months :smile2:.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I love to fish with them black and yellow Dudes

10. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I dont know a thing about the Catawba River but since this has changed to a conversation about catalpa worms ill give you my take on it. I dont have access to any of the natural worms unfortunately but i use an immitation Catalpa Worm flavored Strike King bait. IT WORKS VERY VERY WELL!!!!! I have caught who knows how many fish on it it is the BEST prepared bait that i have ever used, i fish it mostly in ponds though and its great for catching channels and bullheads. to prove how well this works ill add a picture of a cat that i caught on it in mid day last summer.

Attached Files:

• c1.JPG
      c1.JPG
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views: