Catawba Worms

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by messemore, Jul 16, 2009.

1. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I spent most of my life in Mississippi fishing the rivers there.

Now that I am in Virginia I was wondering does Virginia have Catawba worms?

I see a lot of trees that I think are the same type of tree we have in Mississippi but I have yet to see a single Catawba worm.

Now I am in central Virginia if that make a difference.

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Billy we do have them here in Virginia but I have not seen any on the bean trees yet, I think they come in later on in the summer, but I might be wrong. Good bait for channels in Virginia too! Welcome to Virginia and to the BOC!

3. littlepony

littlepony New Member

State:
    virginia
    Billy it should be close to the time for them to be on the trees. We go to my wife's family reuion in Galax every year the first week in August and we pick them off the trees to fish with. I know wear a couple of trees are close to my house I will check this weekend and let you know if they are out.:big_smile:

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If we don't get some rain we won't have any this year. Only found one tree that had eggs on it and they didn't hatch.

5. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Here is a link with some picture....

http://www.catawbaworms.com/

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    One thing is for sure it is one awesome bait for flatheads,blues, or channels.

7. littlepony

littlepony New Member

State:
    virginia
    Billy I checked the trees around my home and did not find a one with worms on it.:confused2: I live near Altavista, VA & I checked some trees on the Staunton River. We have got a lot of rain in Central VA this summer & it has also been unseasonably cool. Don't know if that may play a factor in why I haven't found any.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    After reading the link that Steve provided, it definitely sounds like Catawba worms are worth a try.

It's nice to know that destructive pests do serve a useful purpose at times!

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Oh yea an awesome bait that is for sure.

10. littlepony

littlepony New Member

State:
    virginia
    If you can get you a can of Catawba worms & find a Catawba tree on the bank were you are fishing you will catch channel cats there faster than you can bait your hook. It is like the fish stay under the tree & wait for the worms to fall. All I use is a 2/0 bait holder Eagle Claw hook & some 1/4 oz. egg sinkers and it is on. I great way to take a kid fishing. :smile2:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Regardless of the state you live in, if you have access to Catalpa worms, consider yourself blessed. One of the best baits out there.

12. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    The Catawba worms are starting to get on the bean trees (or we use to call them cigar trees)here in south west Virginia, must be recently hatched!