Catawba river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Chalk, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Has anyone ever fished the Catawba river at hwy 72 in Chester County? It looks like a interesting place to check out but I have never heard of anyone fishing down there. If anyone has any info on this river let me know. I would love to go hunt some cats down there if it is worth my while.:wink:

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    The Catawba River does not run through Chester County,not by way of 72 anyway,it does come through Chester county in Fort Lawn and the River is the dividing line between Chester and Lancaster Counties and that is HWY 9 and runs on down 21 to Fishing Creek Resivoir near Great Falls which is Chester County and after that you get into Faifeild County and Kershaw County.I think if you are talking about 72 you are prolly talking about Fishing Creek. The Broad River probably crosses down that way somewhere but I aint positive without looking at a map.

3. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    you are correct the broad crosses under 49 but where I'm talking about is hwy 9. I need to look at my map also and make sure of the name of this water way.:crazy:

4. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    HWY 9 does run through Chester County and the Catawba river is between Lancaster and Fort lawn,that part of the river is the upper part of Fishing Creek Resivoir,i'm pretty sure thats what youre referring too,its right there at Catawba Fish Camp

5. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Highway 9 Landing

Located in Lancaster County, SC.
    • Public restrooms available: No
    • Water features: Catawba River
    • Fishing
    • Boat ramp
    • Go east on SC #9 for 11.7 miles (18.9 km.) and look for the signs. Just past the bridge, a small dirt road leads off to the left down to the river
    It is the Catawba river on hwy 9 but it is in Lancaster County. I copied the above off of the DNR website. So has anyone ever heard of anyone catching any good Cats from here??? How is the depth of the water? Please reply I would like to hear something on this. I have crossed it before and it looked inviting from the bridge.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've heard bass fisherman talk about it before and they say its shallow up that way.

7. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    It is not a bad place at all if you wanna catch eater size channel cats and mudcats,the water is relatively shallow both ways,rocks to the north and several shallow sandbars to the south,it is passable both ways staying in the channel,we used to fish down there alot years ago when i was a teen,we did alot of camping on the island and alot of limblining for cats,the white bass used to be plentiful back in the day also,i have not fished there in many years so I cant say how it is now but I would pretty much expect it to be the same,i know if you go on down to fishing creek resivoir there are a few blues in there and probably on up in the river as well but it is kinda like Wylie,few and far between,I have heard lately that the White Bass were real plentiful back in there spring run and it has always been a good crappie lake,just cant say about the cats,if you want trophy cats i would say no but if you wanna fill the boat with eater size yes
    You also need to be very aware of that landing under the Bridge if you go,it is a hotspot now for illegal activities including drugs and prostitution,and alot of car breakins,that is the major reason I never go there anymore,you would probably be ok putting in at Fishing creek landing down lake a little on 21 and there are a couple of landings on the other side also,i would stay away from the bridge landing if possible,just my opinion

8. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    well thats all the reason I need to not go there. I was just wondering so I fingure I would ask. Thanks Marty:wink:

9. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Chalk,I white bass fished there this spring 3 times in the evening,throwing small crankbaits,caught 4 catfish on the crankbaits.I thought about trying the catfish,figgured they might bite cut bat real well, but havent done it yet.Marty is right about the landing,I wouldnt leave my truck after dark.I know two fellas personally that has had their truck broke in.Its a long ride from the fishing creek landing to the bridge.