Catawba River in Hickory

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by andrewlail76, Jul 3, 2007.

1. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know anything about catfishing on the Catawba River?

Is there a good spot to jug?

Any feedback would be good.

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    but I heard on the news this afternoon they caught a piranha somewhere on the catawba:eek:oooh:

3. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'll be sure to not get in the water then...

:tounge_out:

Anyone else? My dad and I are going in the morning. We'll probably be at the Whittenburg launch around 7AM

4. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    I fished lake Hickory on July-3rd,my wife and I caught some channel cats ,they were smal,about 1 to 3#,go up to Rhodhiss dam,cats like it there,watch for rocks and stay back from the dam,its a wild ride in a small boat when they turn the wheels on.:crazy:

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Here ya go, it's TRUE :smile2:.

Hickory Record Newspaper Article

Oh well, to each his own. Won't keep me out of there :smile2:.

6. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    there is a shallow cove down close to oxford dam that has pads in it i have caught many cats 1-10 lbs in the cove best palce to set up is where the drop off is and fish it

7. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the advice. Dad and I went out July 4th morning and fished up from R&N Marina...nothing...then we went to Sh*t alley...nothing. Are the catfish slowing down?

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Andrew, some of the biggest channel cats in the state are in Lake Hickory. It is a good channel cat lake and I would take the time to learn it. Channels cats approaching state record class are not incommon in the lake.

I do not fish the lake, so I do not know the water temps and the spawn situation, but I do know that most lakes locally have seen a drop-off in the bite recently for some reason. It could be spawn related, weather releated, or moon related, so don't discount your recent experience if it was a bad one.

You asked about baits in another thread and I will address that here. For channels cats you can not go wrong with bream heads and bream parts this time of year. Anchoring or trolling will produce fish in the right conditions. White perch are another good bait choice, and while I am not sure how available they are in Lake Hickory, you can fill a cooler at Lake Norman.

9. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks so much!

Dad and I are going in the morning to give it another shot...I wonder if raw steak gone bad would work...

10. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We should be on the river by 7AM or so...look for the old tan open bow fiberglass Renken...that will be us with our light blue jugs. I think we're going to try near the drop off at Oxford Dam

11. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well...in 3 hours we caught a sun perch the size of your hand and a 6 pound snapping turtle that ate half of my liter and my hook...