Catawba Catfish Club Points Race

Discussion in 'Catawba Catfish Club' started by WylieCat, Jul 26, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Is there any chance that the Catawba Catfish Club would introduce a points race next year for the club series? :tounge_out:

Perhaps Nichols Store might be interested in sponsoring the points series with a $500 gift certificate to the winner? :wink:

Or, you could take $1.00 per entry and put it in a pot. With nine tournaments averaging close to 50 people per tournament, that would be close to $500 for the points winner. :crazy:

Just an idea and something to chew on. :big_smile:

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    We have been discussing that already Dieter as far as a Points Championship,been throwing around a few numbers and stuff,Jeff has actually talked to Darren and He said he may be interested in helping out in some way.There will be a few changes next year,nothing major by no means,but adding a points race,maybe another Lake,maybe a few tweaking of the rules etc.
    We have talked about having a meeting of regulars and getting some imput and ideas,I would like to at least have a couple of meetings a year and talk things over and shoot the breeze,kinda like the Carolina Catfish Club does.We are gonna be ironing some things out in the next couple of months and ideas and imput from regulars means alot,We are not gonna make no wholesale changes,but anything to make things just a little better will go a long way torwards the longivity of the Catawba catfish Club.
    Yall toss out some ideas on a Points Race and lets see what we come up with:wink:

3. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Thanks for the input,it is invited.Like Marty said we need to get together and iron out some things for next year.I've talked to some People about helping donate some prizes and gift cards but I think we need to show and prove to them just how big and interested angelers are in Catfishing.From talking to them and showing them this web site and the tournament results along with the replies will help.I would like to see more kids out fishing and would like to see it available that we could send them away with a little prize each tournament,like a small rod and reel combo,tackle box,Shirt,Hat,gift card,etc.But we would need this stuff donated and have on hand and available to be given out when they show up to fish.Would also like to see more women fishing to.Well we can throw around some ideas and hopefully come up with something

4. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Im all for a points system in the Catawba tourny trail. I would like to see more people keep their fish alive for weighin, breaks my heart to see all those dead big fish and then they try to give them away. What if you got a local news paper to do a small section on the tourny results. It would open the doors for a few sponsirs for the tourny. A few local business might be a little more willing to fork over some cash or prizes(for the kids and for the points championship) if they are getting some advertising out of it. It might also encourage more people to come out and fish, might get you pic in the paper.

5. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Good idea on the fish alive thing. I'm guilty as any on this. When i fish i usually throw them back after we get them unhooked but during a tourney you need some means of keeping them alive. I have tried the stringer thing but when the water is warm as it is this time of year its hard to do. I'm in the process of building some type of live tank in my boat and my wife is even looking at getting a pontoon (plenty of room for a live well) Kids fishn has always been a good idea/ Showing them catch and release is the future of our sport. As far as gifts, one of the churches i visit go to a discount place on hwy 34 and get stuff to giveway during the tourneys they hold. Just an idea and maybe we could come up with a way of getting the money. Count me in on any type of gatherings, i got to find out how Team Smackdown passed me on blastoff like i was sitting still:angry::smile2:

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Love the idea!!:big_smile: I think it would help with keeping the crowd coming back. I had talked to a tackle shop on the lower end of the lake last week and they were completely unaware of Catawba Catfish Club's event that weekend. There are more tournaments out of that Landing than any other on the lake, most are Bass and Crappie but some are Catfish. I think getting the address for all the marinas and sending out flyers for the upcoming dates would go a long way. Use the locals, several live on the lake, who fish the tournament to help in promoting around the lake. I like Dieters idea of putting a dollar in the pot for each entry, except to support these options rather than the money going to the championship pot. I don't think Marty and Jeff should have to foot ANY of the cost personally. Growing this tournament trail will benefit everyone involved. Imagine what crowds it would draw with a $2000 first place win?
    Donations of gifts of all kinds is a great idea. Maybe everyone that follows the trail and fishes it could talk to 'who they know' that could or would donate rather than Marty and Jeff doing all the leg work. We all know someone who would be willing to help out. Just a thought.:wink:
    Maybe there could be several tournaments that have a purpose or theme in mind. Say we had a fairly nice special prize for a 'Take Yo Gal Catsmackin' tournament where if a team with a lady aboard won it she would get that prize. They love massages, facials and pedicures........maybe we could get Pop Pop to give the massage!!:smile2: Use the same idea for getting more kids on the water, how about a 'Whipper Snapper Catsmacker' tourney!
    I think with some sit down meetings this could be GREAT! I would love to be involved anyway I can. I will go ahead and commit to bringing whatever is neccessary, kids, wife, girlfriend:eek:oooh:, small dog...ect. to qualify for the extra prize should my team win. I would be happy to donate some of the fishing equipment that I get from sponsors to the cause. These are my ramblings, thanks for the chance to be involved.

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    This is all fine with me!:big_smile: A point system would be great.

Now the issue of dead fish. I'd like to see an incentive rule. You can weigh in live or dead fish as it is now, But an incentive rule carries punishment and reward. You weigh in 3 live fish and you 3 lbs added to your total. If you weigh in 3 fish and 1 or all is dead you get 5 lbs subtracted from your total. Intresting Right!. A rule like this would now make keeping fish alive a priority. Atleast I belive it would.

A Team can still keep their fish if they want to,And a rule like this is fair to all competitors.

8. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I agree 100% w/ a catch & release tournament-maybe allowing 1 dead fish to be weighed(like the crappie tournaments).With a 3 fish limit,it shouldn't be too hard to keep them alive.Being its a "dead or alive" tourny most people won't go through the trouble of keeping them alive(i'm guilty).At least the big fish weighed should be released.

9. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with George and Pop Pop on this. I have no problem with someone keeping fish if they are going to eat them. But too many times I have seen people come in with three big dead fish and then after the weigh in you will see them asking if other teams want the fish because they don't. If you don't want the fish keep them alive and let them go. It's not really that hard to keep 3 fish alive. :eek:oooh:
    Sorry about the rant, that's just something that bothers me. Hope I didn't offend anyone.:wink:

10. cattastrophe

cattastrophe New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I love the points deal me,J.D.,and Chris tryed to get Gary to do that 3 years ago so I say go for it I'm in there. As for catch and release I firmly beleive in that,because I have a young son thats loves to fish and we need those fish to live so the kids can keep fishing in the future.The only thing I wish is if the Catawba Catfish Club would become an affiliated club with Cabelas so that we can qualify for the clasic.Now to add all that it would be SUPER. Please let us know when you plan to have a meeting I would like to come if possible.

11. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    My My how the pot has stirred by a question about a points race.I guess I opened that door when I said we were gonna discuss some other options as far as rules,dates etc.I left out the CPR deal on purpose.Let me first say that Jeff and I fully support the Idea of CPR and the benefits of it,my pontoon is equipped with a 110 gallon holding tank that would keep any catfish in the US alive.In fact it is in the rules that CPR is strongly encouraged on fish over 20 lbs.In the 3years that we have been doing this,CPR has gotten better and every chance we get we speak to folks about it and encourage it,of the Top 8 teams Saturday night,CPR was practiced on 5 of the teams,thats not a bad percentage for a trail that does not require CPR.When this Club was started it was to get the "Novice" Fisherman out there and get them interested in Catfishing and Catfish Tournaments.The idea was to keep the entry low and not require CPR on an Introductory level.I think we have and still continue to draw folks out and get them interested in the sport of Catfishing.Alot of the folks that fish those tournaments are now turning into full fledge Catfisherman and are very interested in not only fishing other tournaments,but learning different techniques like drifting and anything else that will make them a better Catfisherman.And for most I feel it will also evolve into CPR.I fully support other tournaments like the Carolina Catfish Club,Carolina Catmen,Cabelas King Kat and their rules regarding CPR.Jeff and I have fished all 3 trails and are eqipped to do so.
    Lets not take a giant step of instituting CPR all at one time,if we do it would cut the entrants way,way down,instead I propose each and everyone encourage it and show folks your ways of keeping fish alive and how you do it.If each and everyone of us picks one team and get them interested and practicing CPR before we know it it will not even be an issue and then maybe we will take the steps to Enforce it across the board.We did go from a 5 fish weigh in to a 3 fish weigh in and I think that was a great move in itself to help cut down on Dead Fish.
    I do however like the idea of a Penalty for "Dead Fish",that may be something that can be worked in the rules in the near future.PopPops idea sounded pretty good.
    Russell as far as Cabelas,that would be cool down the road,I like fishing their tourneys but I also belive it would entail to many rule changes right now.If We was gonna run a Cabelas affiliated Tourney Trail.I would want the rules just as theirs and we are way off on some right now.
    Thanks to all of you for your ideas and imput,We cant please everyone but they all will be taken into consideration.Maybe we can schedule an informal meeting and get some more ideas out on the table soon.
    Thanks again Guys.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  12. cattastrophe

cattastrophe New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    From what I understand not all the turneys have to be qualifires, maybe a few special events on the CCC.Just something to look at go to www.cabelas.com click on entry forms and then click on club entry form just to see what we may or may not do.

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....You can weigh in live or dead fish as it is now, But an incentive rule carries punishment and reward....."

I like the idea!! :wink:

All fish alive and you get your total weight. If you bring fish in dead you get 95% of your total weight. That would mean 50 pounds of fish would only get you 47.5 pounds if any are dead. That probably won't affect first place much, but 2nd - 5th is usually TIGHT!! 5% can make a difference, and if you really want to tighten it up make it 10%!!!!

Easy to figure out with a calculator. Makes cheating a lot harder.

14. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    MY idea was 3 live fish 3 extra pounds, 3 dead fish take away 3 pounds,

15. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Simplicity, and low cost is what drawed me to this tournament club. Don't get away from it just cause the club is growing. I told some folks about the tournament at the campground (even seen one boat comming down to sign up for the tournament) and i think the entry fee alone attracts people. When you go up on entry fee's and add rules that cause folks to have to go out and spend money they don't have.......well, you get the picture. I like Marty's idea on showing people how to keep the fish alive and in the future if they are serious about tournaments, they to will come around. Most of the folks that have been fishn this tournament don't even catch a 20lb fish and like Marty said most of the top 7 already have means of keeping fish alive. I'm in the works of getting some means of CPR on my boat. The tank that i want costs and its on the to do list in restoring my old tub. This is a great club with great people, people that don't mind helping a friend on his engine, that don't mind sharing fishn techniques and ideas. Keep it simple and watch it grow:big_smile:

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    While a great turnout is wonderful on the surface, especially if you win, there is a downside.

You are doing yourself and other anglers a disservice if you are killing everything you catch. Shark tournaments used to be notorious for this. Sooner or later the unmitigated slaughter will lead to a decline in the fish population. How soon will that happen? Who knows, but I don't any of us want to see things head in that direction.

Furthermore, it sends a bad message. Other anglers learn from other anglers, both good and bad. If one sees someone killing everything cuaght then they are likely to feel that is ok. There is also the public viewpoint. When the non-fishing community sees anglers releasing fish back into the water alive they are really seeing concerned sportsmen, and this sticks in their mind.

17. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    As far as keeping catfish alive and for the money concern all you really need is a good sturdy tote in the 40 to 50 gallon area which you can get at home depot for around $20 to $30 and a cheap aerator that you can put in it which you can get at walmart for about $25 dollars or cheaper. Just keep check on the water temperature and if you feel that it is getting to hot just add some fresh water to the tank. I know it costs money for this stuff but all in all just think it is about the same cost as a tank of gas in a boat.

18. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would love to see these tournaments become live fish weight ins and the points idea that sounds great :wink:

19. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have not fished any tournaments before and not much night fishing because of not knowing how the boat needs to be rigged - what kind of lights, live well size, etc-etc. Is there anywhere out there for this kind of information so I can come and join ya'll?

20. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Scott i don't use any special lights but a good flashlight and even a spotlight on those really dark nights. The regular boat lights seem to light up the rods if they are white. When i had a pontoon i had a light rigged at the end of a pcv pipe that really lit up the boat. May go back to that type rig. Light really helps at times. 20 gal live well is big enough and the best thing to do is fish one of the tournaments and look at the other guys boats. Some of these guys are really rigged to catfish. Also, unless you know the lake blindfolded, a gps is good to have :wink: Fat cat, i have thought about the blue box's from wal-mart and even used one when fishn from a pontoon at a tournament on Santee. They work good if you have the room. I was thinking more of a built in tank while i got the floor out i may as well put something in. Seth even said to use my 150qt cooler with a airater, that i will probably do until i come up with something. I probably throw more fish back than most cause i really don't eat them that much. Whatever Marty decides is good with me. Dead or Alive, they are comming with me. :smile2:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009