Catawba - Below Lake Wylie Dam

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by tatersalad, May 2, 2006.

1. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I'm going to be fishing below the Lake Wylie dam this weekend. Any pointers or advice would be most welcome.

2. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    The tailrace below wylie is littered with rocks. I'd suggest using a rig with a 3 way swivel with 6lb line tied to a 2oz sinker. You need to be on the bottom but if you are you're going to get hung up. With the light weight, losing a sinker or two should be expected but at least you will not lose the entire rig. Good luck...there are plenty of 20lbrs right below the dam.

3. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I was using just about that rig (got down there last night), and got bit by a nice fish (probably 8-10#) but didn't get the hook set.

I switched from circle to octopus hook, anybody have advice on the hook set with an octopus hook?

I got there about 8pm, only a couple of nibbles for two hours. Got packed up to go home, and was talking to a guy when they opened the gates up again. Since the water came up, i decided to toss a line in. Put on some Liver 'flavored' stink bait, and had a nibble in less that 5 minutes. Missed him completely (got excited), and cast back in. Less than 5 minutes and had another one playing with the bait. Remembered to wait longer and had the decent fish on for about 30 seconds before he spit it out.

Man this is addictive.......:crazy:

4. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Steve, what kind of cats are those? Is there a good pouplation of flatheads below the dam? I live in Fort Mill.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    tatersalad don't try to set the hook with a circle or octopus circle. They will set themselves by design. If you start jerking the rod on a nibble you will only pull the bait away. Jsut wait for the rod to fold over.