cataract lake

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by treed123, Sep 19, 2008.

1. treed123

treed123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    im gonna go down there and give it a shot tonight has anyone been down there and know what there biting ive heard they have caught a few decent cats out of the falls and tailwater and the boat ramps just let me know what you have heard

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to the BOC.

How'd it go for you?

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, we got bombed on Saturday night by rain while fishing for my birthday. So Sunday we got started at the White River Rock Dam and wasn't having any luck, however I did miss a hit on my life sunfish, When I brought him in he was missing his spines on his back, his 2 side flippers were gone, and he had no scales left. But everybody else was not having fun so we all talked it over. So we all agreed to Cataract, so off we go and we drove down to the spillway. We watched a couple people catch some small channels, after they left we decided to move from the creek park over to the main pool. Well, catching bait fish was difficult as to the bluegill not being very active. We caught a few and the fishing was on, below you will see the pics of the 2 flatheads I caught within about an hour of each other. Both were caught on live Sunfish approx 4-5 inches long.

They arent real big, but being my first 2 I was excited!

Attached Files:

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Right on buddy! You were in a flattie hole. I'm confident by the seasons end we'll see pictures of ya holdin' up a Monster....
    Get ready, I hope you have some heavy gear!

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Thanks Bill, I appreciate it and I promise you after yesterday I will continue to seek the "Big" one(s)!.

What is nice about my catches, I was fishing the same spot that I know have produced large ones before. I recall as a kid going there, and witnessing a man name Ermil catch Big Flatheads. I think the most awesome one I ever seen was when I was about 16/17 years old, and Ermil had caught an Albino that was weighed in at 59 3/4 lbs from the very spot I was fishing.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wow!!! An albino flathead of any size would be awesome to see!!!

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh man that would be so awesome to see! Just an albino around 15 pounds would be awesome let alone a 60 pounder!!! I remember when I was in junior high at a paylake I caught about a ten pound channel or blue albino.....I cant remember which it was. I think it was a channel but that was years ago and it can be hard enough at times to tell those two fish apart when they are their normal colors let alone solid white with red eyes..... :confused2:

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, so Sunday night Cataract turned out to be a waste of time. We fished from about 4 - 930 and caught nothing but the bait. Had a basket of 'gills and a bucket of free minnows, sat around and waited and waited and nothing.

I decided to try fishing with bigger 'gills to try to catch a bigger Flat, but that didnt work for me, I had a few nice "bumps" and very consistant, but nothing produced from it. So, I wonder if the 'gill was too big to get in his/her mouth?

9. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Oh, I did forget to mention that went I got home my ankle was swollen to about 2 sizes bigger than normal. So, Cataract I feel owes me one... I would have rather taken a hook to the skin or a weight to crotch.

I can barely walk today...

10. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I have heavy gear, just hoping that I can find a fishing buddy.:0a23: