Catarack lastnight

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Trophy Flathead Hunter, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    took boat out by myself for the first time! Got out late,about 930. boat ramp was busy so I had to wait my turn. Got on the water about ten. I headed back to the falls area. I was in a few feet of water then it shot up to one foot then my depth finder went crazy so I just turned around. I decided I will take that venture during the day afew times before doing it at night.

Went back around to the side of the island. Netted some of those fingerling shads and took the boat behind the island. Then it happens, my motor dies and won't start back up.

Greeeeaaaatttt.

So I just decided to fish it out since thats what I came to do. So I anchor up using the trolling motor to position the boat up. Took alittle time but I anchored it perfect, I barely moved at all. Crazy how you let out all that extra rope, how much better it holds. So lines in the water by 11.

After that I sat fora while, I was alittle wore out from everything. At first I was using the shad under bobbers. I had my ultralight baitrod out with a redworm hoping for a blugill. Something smashes it and its on! Im fighting this fish for like 5 minutes. Just pulling line left and right doing what it wants. Im trying to reel my other lines in before they get tangled. I put one in the boat and realized I set it on the net. And of course it tangled up. So I decided once it was close I would just grab the line. Bad idea. Came unhooked when I did that. Was a very nice looking channel, I would guess 8-10 lbs.

Immediately I swap out all my baits to nightcrawlers and also went shallower on the floats. I was setting them about one, one and half feet deep. There was constant topwater action going on so I was assuming thats where they were feeding.

Ended up catching 2more decent ones and a baby. The one I lost was bigger though. About 3 i decided to wrap it up. Got situated and tried to fire it up. No luck so I trolled back to the ramp. Made it home about 5am.

It was a fun but alittle frustrating night. My mechanic buddy is gone untill Sunday. So no boat tonight. I have the boat sitting out front (dont tell my HOA!) Im going to look for anything obvious, even though I don't really know what I'm looking for haha.

I'm still trying to get comfortable in the boat, I was moving stuff around alittle, trying to keep everything out of my way. Its hard. I need a bigger boat, but I don't :coffee: heres them channels, had some big gnarly heads and mouths on them.

20200711_012822.jpg 20200711_020400.jpg 20200711_030453.jpg

2. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Im back! This was disconnected some how. (Gas line it appears) Thats all it was. I connected the hose to the earmuffs and hooked it up and it turned right over! I tried a few times to make sure. Proud of myself for finding the problem :cool1: 20200711_120952.jpg

3. prlwng

prlwng Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    Found on my old bass tracker, one time, that the controller had to be exact in nutrel to start. Cranked alot till bumped the controller and presto. Got back to ramp and tryed it. Yep, kinda had a slight dead spot. Would crank but no fire. Had switched battery, pumped bulb, kill switch, etc. Then finnaly moved controller.

cadyman, eastforker, Flat Top and 3 others like this.
  4. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    welcome to the world of boats

its not just the old ones either
    lots of brand new cars trucks boats etc having problems

anyhow at least you become familiar with it over time.

I launched my boat last winter
    cranked it
    ran
    died
    over and over
    finally saw the fuel line was disconnected

typer181, cadyman, eastforker and 4 others like this.
  5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    There you go Jon, your boating education continues, luckily with no pain, tears or expense.
    When a problem occurs, it’s good to have a checklist (written or mental) that covers the things to check in a logical order.
    Motors have a few basic requirements to start and run; spark, fuel, air etc. Never assume anything and just check things one at a time. A lot of “problems” can be resolved this way.

W

6. twaskom

twaskom Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom

Before that long, long, long trolling or paddling trip back to the ramp.

SteveMcK, typer181, cadyman and 3 others like this.
  7. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    Attaboy Jon! :biggrin1: Getting out there by yourself, making good safe decisions about realizing you may be better off a few times during the day in a certain area and not pushing your luck. I'm a firm believer in going with your gut, especially on the water. You keep going out there and building up your confidence in your boat and you may be posting pics like Tom does in his boat here soon! Maybe have a dedicated thread to Jon's jon boat adventures?! I look forward to seeing your posts in the future about your boat adventures buddy. And good job getting those channels, i know you had to be disappointed not getting the bigger one netted, but next time you'll make sure it doesn't happen again and it may be a flathead next time. :)

8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Jon is going to be posting some nice flatheads before long and maybe a Blue cat also. He does the exact thing that gets it done. Baits a hook and puts it in the water. He will get comfortable in the White River before long. When he gets confident and comfortable in his boat and some understanding of navigating White River in a boat, he will be posting some good fish.

I'll show him some good spots. Which he would have found on his own in no time. All he will have to do is bait up and cast his bait out behind his boat. Won't have much choice there because that is where his bait will end up. Jon will put the time in and that is what lands good fish.

He will also have to get accustom to editing pics so as not the give his spots away. There seems to be more and more fishing pressure on the White.

We just had a good rain storm go thru the area with more to come upstream so the water is going to be rising. Wish the spawn was over.

9. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    South Central Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    Nice work figuring it out. At least you had the trolling motor to get you home. Once I got a tow in a boat just to realize that it was in gear after we got back to the dock. Boy did I feel like an idiot, but learned something that day!

Is your engine really 100:1?

Nice looking male Channels. Slip floats are great to cover water and fish suspended. Not sure why catfisherman don't do it more often. A Thill Big Fish slip float and 1/2 oz weight with cutbait will work excellent in shallow water. And, you can see the fish hit!

Matt

10. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom

Matt during that period, (1988) Johnson was recommending a 100:1 (fuel:eek:il) mixture. The motor runs fine on that and was seeming to get enough oil to lubricate the engine. Then at some point a couple of years later they started having warranty problems. It seems that with that amount of oil it did not coat the motor well enough to stop corrosion. So, they went back to the 50:1 ratio. That coated the parts better and ended the corrosion problem.

Hope that helps.

11. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    there is a lot of stuff that can happen when you fish alone (like I do)
    even if you survive you might be really embarrassed
    I have thought more than once about dropping anchor with a bunch of line all around me in 40-50 ft of water
    many have died trying to swim to a boat drifting away as well