Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

CATALPAH WORMS GREENWOOD !

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  BeagleWoman 
#1 ·
i am lookin for catapah worms eggs or moths does any 1 know where i can get sum at i have 4 trees but cant seem to get any worms on tree either the soil is to hard or last winters flooding rains flooded the cocoons out of the ground my neighbor has 50+ trees and he has nun either what should i do to attrack or breed them

i guess ill stick to cut bait and shrimp and livers till i can figure out whut needs to be dun
to attrack them it one the most productive baits i know of

BTW try soaking shrimp in chicken liver blood seems i get more hits like this maybe u will to

fish are in spawn mode atm so bite is real slow other then drift fishing for them and i havent dun that in years i only bank fish now

#3 ·
back 3 years ago we had a few on the tree with them on there backs but they came from stockmans trees witch he has a bunch of them out there like that

see my main problem is geting them on the trees and returning next year i live by ascend aka monsanto im wondering if it has to do with smoke coming out there stacks

ive bought dozens and dozens of them and putem on the trees and mulch'd the surrounding areas with a good 2 ft of mulch for them to bed in when its time for there cocoons to form

seems like they dig into the mulch but when trees produce goodsize leafs and when its time for them to crawl out they dont or wither they fly away i dunno im kinda baffle'd by this if u know whut i mean

back 18 years ago when i was a yungin my neighbor had tons i mean tons
there where so many that u couldnt fishem all out in year then they started slacking off then to present day none

if i could only getem to return that would be nice

i know u have to wait 3 years after u putem on the trees to letem do there cycle but ive dun this and no results

**was fishing last night killer storm rolled up on me i might go tonite if it dont storm**

#4 ·
i got one tree,my worms pop up and start eating.when the leaves are gone.you will see a few crawling around on the ground then there gone.this happens about thee times during the summer.as soon as i thought my tree was big enough i put some worms on early that summer maby 2 dozen.they came back twice that year. mine comes on late i Had some last September .

#5 ·
when do they start or should i say when do they lay eggs

and what time of year do u start to see the worms

i put 3 dozen out last year and havent seen nun and i leftem on tree i seenem crawling down the trucks and burrowing in the ground but nuthings hatched

dunno whats wrong

#12 ·
Why not try and contact your state Department of Forestry and/or local horticulture clubs for help in determing if your conditions are conduscive to hatching and maintaing catalpa worms. I'm sure there is some agency there which can give you a helping hand. But you must remember, what is good in your opinion may be bad in your neighbors. Not everone wants the same things in life.

#14 ·
not sure if this will help or not but a few years back my dad got some cutting and rooted about 20 trees to sell. when they were one year old still in the pots they had a huge crop of worms that just showed up. So im thinking that a moth or butterfly has to lay eggs on the tree in spring for the trees to have worms that year because the trees spent the winter in the greenhouse.
my thought is you just have to get lucky and be visited by the catalpa worm fairy

#16 ·
yeh ive hurd that but my cocoons are in ground under the trees so if they hatch they should fly up and bam there the tree they need maybe i should build a greenhouse around them if all else fails then maybe they will stay in one specific area prior to hatching :)

#17 ·
Your statement " i live by ascend aka monsanto im wondering if it has to do with smoke coming out there stacks" may have more merit than you believe. Thats why I suggested you have the bug experts assist you. What was right and proper yesterday has little value today. Things change.

#19 ·
Have you been cutting back your trees? Also I have found that the moth prefers trees that are not flowering. I have an acre of them and which ever trees are producing seed that year will not have nearly the numbers of hatchings as trees not producing fruit. Why that is I do not know. I have seen the leaves turn yellow on flowering trees, and the others be almost bare. Even try moving worms to the trees, and seems they leave the tree. Any pesticides that you or your neighbors use will affect the worm-to-moth cycle. Fire ants also will prevent moths from hatching. Moths hatch with the moon. Shortly after the full moon check your trees for spots that look like frost damage. Those will be your hatchings. Keep the wasps in check, and fire ants at this time as they will devour the hatching worms quickly. I do not use them, but I have seen tents over some trees in an effort to keep wasps and birds away. You could hatch the moths on your own and release them when you want. (email if you want info on this). I have found this handy in getting worms early. I hope some of this will be useful. please post info that clemson shares with you.

#20 ·
thnx for your info i will do sum of the trees flower while sum do not then sum of the trees have brownish or yallow spots on the leaves ive looked closely but i dont think there eggs they maybe too much sun or a fungus yes i would like more info if u got any clemson exchange guy is comeing over at 4 so we'll see once again thnx:highfive:

#21 ·
Life Cycle, Habits, and Importance

The catalpa sphinx overwinters as a pupa in the soil under or near trees infested the previous season. In spring, pupae work their way to the soil surface and moths begin to emerge shortly after host trees have leafed out. Time of moth emergence varies considerably by locality within the range and even from year to year in the same locality, depending on temperature and general weather conditions. In Lee County in east-central Alabama, spring moth activity can be expected in most years from about mid April into early May. Moths mate and females lay eggs in masses on the undersurface of leaves. Masses may contain 100-1000 eggs (1). Eggs usually hatch in five to seven days (1); in normal years in Lee County and vicinity, hatch has usually occured and first-brood larvae are present by mid-May. Newly hatched caterpillars feed as a group skeletonizing areas of leaf, Later, larvae separate and feed singly, consuming whole leaves except for stubs of midribs and large veins. Duration of the caterpillar stage varies but generally is about three weeks. Full-grown caterpillars enter the soil and pupate. New adults of summer generations emerge in about two weeks, but pupae of the last brood of the season overwinter in the soil and moths do not emerge until the following spring. The total length of the lifecycle is about six weeks. In Alabama, three or four generations may occur in a single season, and caterpillars may be present into fall. Time of moth emergence and duration of developmental stages vary, consequently, generations often overlap and different life stages and caterpillars of different sizes may be present at the same time.

Infestations of the catalpa sphinx occur sporadically; they come and go and often seem to be highly localized. Certain trees appear to be preferred and are attacked regularly while others of the same catalpa species seem to escape attack; the reason for this is unknown. Caterpillars may be abundant for one, two, or three years, then scarce for several. Natural enemies such as parasites and predators, take a heavy toll of eggs and larvae, and are largely responsible for maintaining populations at low levels. One of the most common and important parasites is a small wasp that attacks the larva. The female wasp deposits eggs through the skin of the caterpillar. Wasp larvae feed and develop inside, then emerge to the outside and spin conspicuous white, silken cocooons on the caterpillar skin,Parasitized catalpa worms do not survive to adulthood.
When caterpillars are numerous, infested trees may be completely defoliated. Defoliated catalpas produce new leaves readily and trees usually refoliate promptly. However, with multiple generations occurring, new foliage maybe consumed by subsequent broods. Most trees survive but some dieback may occur. Severe defoliation over several consecutive years can cause death of trees. Multiple defoliations of nursery stock, may adversely affect survival of young trees when transplanted. The catalpa tree, with its broad, dense crown and showy flowers, is prized by many as a shade or ornamental tree. Catalpa worms can essentially destroy this ornamental value. In this circumstance, the catalpa sphinx is a destructive, unwanted pest. However, there is another viewpoint. As indicated previously, catalpa worms are prized for fish bait. To many fishermen their presence is welcomed, even encouraged. Catalpa foliage is the only food of the catalpaworm, and it is likely that many catalpa trees are planted and maintained as much or more for production of fish bait as for any other purpose. Whether the catalpa sphinx is destructive or beneficial is a matter of point of view.

#22 ·
THE CATALPA SPHINX1 is a common hawk or sphinx moth, (Photo 1) but it is the caterpillar stage, (Photo 2), that is most often encountered and best known. The caterpillars, commonly called catalpa worms or "catawba" worms, feed on leaves of catalpa and often completely strip trees of foliage. Loss of foliage may be serious, especially for shade and ornamental trees and nursery stock. While the catalpa worm is well known as a tree pest, it may be as well or better known to some for its attractiveness to fish. The caterpillars have long been valued for fish bait, and references to their collection by fishermen date back at least to the 1870's when the species was first described . Here is one web site that says they carry live ones during the season you might contact them and see if they can be shipped when available.
http://catawbaworms.com/

The catalpa sphinx occurs throughout much of eastern United States from Florida to New York west to Michigan, Iowa, Kansas, and Texas . It is generally most common in the southern states. Catalpa is its only host plant, and all species of catalpa are apparently subject to attack. Two native species, southern catalpa (Catalpa bignoniodes) and northern catalpa (C. speciosa), are common. Southern catalpa tree is native to the southern states and occurs naturally along rivers and margins of swamps . It is a medium-sized tree with broad crown, large leaves, and show white, purple-tinted flowers. Northern catalpa is very similar to southern catalpa. It occurs naturally as an occasional tree in some central and south-central states--Indiana, Illinois and south to Arkansas and Tennessee. Both catalpas have been widely planted and have become established outside their natural habitats.

The catalpa sphinx overwinters as a pupa in the soil under or near trees infested the previous season. In spring, pupae work their way to the soil surface and moths begin to emerge shortly after host trees have leafed out. Time of moth emergence varies considerably by locality within the range and even from year to year in the same locality, depending on temperature and general weather conditions. Spring moth activity can be expected in most years from about mid April into early May. Moths mate and females lay eggs in masses on the undersurface of leaves. Masses may contain 100-1000 eggs . Eggs usually hatch in five to seven days in normal years hatch has usually occured and first-brood larvae are present by mid-May. Newly hatched caterpillars feed as a group skeletonizing areas of leaf. Later, larvae separate and feed singly, consuming whole leaves except for stubs of midribs and large veins. Duration of the caterpillar stage varies but generally is about three weeks. Full-grown caterpillars enter the soil and pupate. New adults of summer generations emerge in about two weeks, but pupae of the last brood of the season overwinter in the soil and moths do not emerge until the following spring.

I would check with a local live fish bait company (store) and ask if they carry live catalpa worms and buy some and put them on the trees. They should start eating the leaves and grow and spin a cocoon turn into moths and lay eggs. If this happens the you have gotten the caterpillars started on the tree. Do not pick them all off and you should be able to keep a population going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.