catalpah trees ,maybe catapillers

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by airdrop, Jan 10, 2010.

1. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    been running the roads locateing trees and harvesting seeds to spread around the country. I hope the little guys are eating tree leaves soon lol. I did a search on the tree and really was surprised on how wide the range is. Here in oklahoma we have the southern tree an it's surpriseing how long they live. Out in the country in my area is an old one room school and they planted two way back , maybe 1897. So look for the pods hanging now and be quick lol thier starting to break up and drop seeds. Someone said the worms drop at night and crawl back up in the morning , anyone go out and harvest them an is that the best way.

2. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    catabla worms are one of favorite baits,but I've had bad luck finding any in the last few years... :crying:

3. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that with all the trees I've located one might produce lol , I really want to try them and hope to spread them to other trees , seed the little guys around :)

4. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    from what I understand their is small window of opportunity to find catabla worms something like six weeks out of the year?

5. ladeerhunter

ladeerhunter New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I live in Lousiania, grew up with Catalpa trees in yard all my life....We usually take sprouts from under tree and replant, but seeds will work, probably. The best way to get worms on your trees is to place a few live worms on your leaves, they mature ,crawl down to ground,go thru process of turning into moth, or buttterfly,then each year moth will come and lay eggs on your leaves. This starts cycle of worms each year.Fishing fresh worms is best, but I freeze rest in water for future use. Worms dont go to ground at night,they go to ground when they mature, or leaves are depleted, or, for some reason, leaves on some trees doesnt seem to satisfy worms. Good luck with your trees. Ladeerhunter

6. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    as to likeablity of trees it looks like not all trees the same , just looking at seed pods seems to say different. I'll be running the road a lot it looks like lol. thanks again

7. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I wonder why bait shops in central oklahoma don't sell catabla worms?

8. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    my thanks button is gone for the day.lol:tongue1:

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i have 6 trees an i'm gonna transplant some more this spring.i have worms almost all the way through the summer months,when they eat all the leaves from a tree,they grow back fairly quick,and back comes the worms.
    a little tip,don't let the trees get too big,the worms don't like them as much.keep them pruned back to a descent size.don't worry about hurting the trees their almost imposible to kill,i've cut them at the ground,and they'll grow back from the stump.

10. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok

I have never tried using water to freeze them i have always used corn meal. take about 2-3 dozen worms in a quart ziplock bag 3/4 full of corn meal and freeze that way much easier to work with then when you want to use them. I do know when they wont bite any thing else they will on the worms. I learned this from a old timer when i was just a youngster.

Foggy :glasses-cool:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    this tree a weed tree lol, it keeps coming back which can be good for catfishermen :)