Catalpa worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by plukr54, Aug 25, 2008.

1. plukr54

plukr54 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Any one out there have an easy way of collecting catalpa worms. Sure would like to hear them. The trees round here are too tall or it is too thick under them to gather from the ground. Thanks for any advice.

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I stand on a ladder and use a broom to knock them out of the tree onto the ground.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Rex, I use an extension ladder to get up in the trees and then shake the limbs like crazy, then go to the ground and search for them; seems like the more trips you make around on the ground the more you find (they can't sit still for long and will start crawling around looking to get back on a tree).

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We keep our trees pruned to about 5 ft. that is the stump. the limbs get about 10 /12 tall overall

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Long cane pole. We have one that is 18ft. And then put a piece of round metal ( this piece is from a flower arrangement from a funeral piece. ) Clamp a piece about 18" long to the end of the cane. And then bend a hook to the half sticking out past the cane.
    Also first thing the am. The worms will climb down the trees to the ground. Now not all at one time. but the ones that are ready to go in the ground will sure be coming down. But if the ground is not clean cut I am sorry but your about out of luck with anything other then a boom truck.
    We used to climb up in the trees and kick the limbs. and it will rain worms with there big and fat.
    But catman4926 does it the best way if there your trees. Keep them cut down where the stump is 5 or so ft. And they bush out and allow for easy picking.
    I plan on trying to grow me about 50 trees and plant a grove of them and all will be cut down like that.

Pete

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Lay a tarp on the ground and shake the branches. Easy pickins after the fall. Also if you can get to the trees right at sun up they will be at the base of the tree.

7. plukr54

plukr54 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks for the info folks! You all have been more helpful than any web site I have surfed. Course, I all ready knew that!?! Thanks again! I`ll give `em a try.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

.....wow...... a catalpa worm orchard, I can see where that could be a money maker, and pretty quick too because those trees grow fast in the right ground........