Catalpa worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Phil Washburn, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have access to a couple of catalpa trees, and no sign of worms yet. can anyone tell me what time of year they usually appear? thanks

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Not all trees get them:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2: Look for trees that the leaves on the bottom have been run through a shredder:tounge_out: Round 1 is over were waiting on round 2 if it occurs...

3. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    they stink but will catch the bait........ time of year is right about now here in nc

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have two trees in my yard and have waited 5 years and still no worms. The city sprays for mosquitos and I wonder if that might be the reason for the trees not having worms.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The time is now, keep looking. you can find a big patch of trees with only a few of them with worms on them. Look for trees on wooded edges. or trees growing in grassy openings with a lot of sunlight.

6. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Sometimes you have to put some worms on them to get them started.I've had trees that would be rapped up with worms for 2 or 3 years and then nothing.Probably birds and wasps.If you know someone that has trees and will give you a few just put a few on each tree and the next year you should be good to go.

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    That's what I did last year. Put a few on it that I got from a friend.Had worms on it back in June. Hope some more comes out.

8. mr_mississippi

mr_mississippi New Member

State:
    texas
    Im was born and raised in Mississippi, and i was taught that they only come every so often. not every year.

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I have about 30 trees and get worms early in spring,then about the middle of summer,and a few trees in the fall.

10. fishinarkansas

fishinarkansas New Member

State:
    Arkansas

Same problem here, there is over 60 trees in our town, always had worms on them every year. The city started spraying about 10 years ago, after the first year or so of spraying, there have been no worms since then.:sad2:

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got three trees, two females, one male; it's the blooms on the female trees that attract the moth that lays the eggs, I've been told. Past couple of years have not been good (past years have been very productive), but I did get two small batches one in June another in August off of one tree this year.

12. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    my dad and i used to use them alot when i was a kid. we used them tube fishing. early to mid june is when you find them in ok. we always watched catalpa trees every time we were driving around. one in about twenty or thirty trees you find had enough to mess with. most of the time we went back to the same location to get worms. it may not be the same tree but it was in close proximaty. we only used these worms til yellow grass hoppers came out. i never felt they were that good for bait but they were all we had til the hoppers came out.