catalpa worms?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by brucemacgee19, Jul 20, 2008.

1. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    brother in law says he has some of these worms growing in these trees....... is it worth going to catch some? for catfishing ofcourse. if it is then I need to try it out. has anyone used them before and what has the outcome been?

2. Alex J

Alex J Guest

I've never been fortunate enough to find them but the following link says they are excellent for catfish. Get as many as you can and freeze them until you need them. :big_smile:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Catalpa_Worm

3. sigav8r

sigav8r New Member

State:
    Texas
    I took some out this past weekend to a pond by my house. Fished with my kids for about an hour and a half and caught 4 (blue) keepers, one of which was easily 4+ lbs. They hit the worm pretty solid. The action wasn't as fast as it normally is with nightcrawlers, but the quality of the fish were better. I'd say they're better for the larger ones for sure.

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Bait-Boat i am sure will be posting on this thread pretty soon:wink: he is arkansas gu-ru- on those catapla worms he just finished a 65 tree extravaganza!!!!!!!!! He is on to something here i am telling ya!!!!:tounge_out::eek:oooh::smile2: Or staying down at the Dam day after day in the heat is finally taking it's toll on our friend!!!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The catfish love them. Count yourself lucky if you have access to a few trees. Try peeling there skin back.

6. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I say go get all you can,the cats love em .wish there was a way to get em around here I have 8 20 year old trees and have never seen a one on them.Tried to find somebody on the Boc that might send some live one's to put on my trees,would pay what ever it cost any takers?Might have to put a bounty on em 50 cent a piece for a hundred and thirty dollars for live shipping would buy up to 2 hundred

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Those things are great, its like candy for them!:wink:

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive posted this before but for thos who aint seen it you can catch all the worms you want by showing up at daylight and picking them off as they climb down the tree.when the worms mature they climb down and borrogh into the ground to change into a moth.that way you only catch the ones that are ready where if you use a pole or climb the tree and shake it you lose the small ones fore they big enough to make bait.