catalpa worms ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by aggiecat, Mar 25, 2008.

1. aggiecat

aggiecat New Member

State:
    texas
    Does anyone have any comments on using catalpa worms. Fresh vs Frozen ? , spring, summer or fall??. and what is the best way to fish them?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If you can get em use em. They can be used year round but are probably most productive in season.Freeze them in cornmeal or sawdust and they will still be as good as fresh. When hooking them its best to atleast rip their head off or turn them inside out.Its the juices that are created from the worm that attract cats. Probably one of the best channel and blue baits around.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    catalpa worms a re a great bait. we used to use them freash and frozen. we would put our in a tuperware container and freeze them and then when we used them we would cut little slits in them to let the juices flow. you can catch an array of fish on them, from cats, to blue gill, crappie, bass, you name it.

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I usually freeze mine. I put 50 to 75 bigguns in a coffee creamer bottle and fill with enough water to cover the worms and freeze. If you thaw them out slow they look just like they did the day you froz'em. If you let them get hot they turn black,but they will still catch fish.I have used them year round.

5. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    They are an excellent bait, yes use them fresh, frozen it doesn't matter. They will catch fish.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I have a catalpa tree in my yard and when the worms start showing up I start catching fish on them. I have caught flats, blues and channels on them
    Tom

7. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Anyone already seeing worms on their trees? I was in the yard yesterday and I have 1" worms on my trees already I do not think I have ever seen them on the trees this early in the year but then again I had them on the trees 4 times last year and that is real unusual I normally get them 2 times a summer.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How big do they get? I have them and they are about 4 inches long and almost as big around as your little finger.Thankx for your help.
    smokey