Catalpa Worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gordhawk, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does anyone know where I can get some catalpa worms? I live here in southeast Iowa,and can't find any around here anymore. I would love to get ahold of some,as they are excellent catfish bait. If anyone can help me out please PM me.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey glenn, we have a bunch of Catalpa trees down here in Rand Park, and I was just out looking at them friday. I didn't see any worms or eaten foliage, but I'll keep checking. I had never heard the bit about Magnolia trees before. Later Andy

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    My trees are stripped bare of leaves... I've been freezing the worms for use later and using a few as I go along. Sorry... I won't mail any of them anywhere... If you want some, ya gotta come and fish with me!

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm on my way. You'll have to give me directions on how to get to the place I'm suppose to meet you.lol Seriously,I would give about anything to get a hold of some of those worms.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    It's a long way from Iowa to Gore, Oklahoma, but if you show up anywhere reasonably close on I-40 between Fort Smith, Arkansas and Henrietta, OK, call my cell and you can pick all you can find! Then we'll go fishing!:wink:

6. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Been having the same problem finding worms. Have a few trees but still no worms. There is a web site you can get worms sent to you. They come frozen and will be sent either overnight or 2nd day air I think. I will try to find out the name of it and post it on here. Thinking about ordering myself some.

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
  8. Fred Rankin

Fred Rankin New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisiana
    How do you store catalpa worms in your freezer?
    Do you put them alive in a plastic bags with water and just freeze them?
    Do you Blanche them first?
    Do you freeze them in plastic bags with corn meal?
    I have tried all three above and the corn meal is easier.

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa

Hay Glenn have you tried looking in Catalpa trees? Sorry I just couldnt resist!!!:smile2: I am checking someout in town if I get a load of them Ill pm you for a address to send you some!! I am also going to try out that catalpa paste they are now selling let you know how it works!!

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I happened on some access to a few trees just yesterday but not one worm in sight although the leaves do look like they have had something eating them.
    Is it too late for worms now or do they last all summer and into fall? We also have a couple of magnolia trees in the yard but nothing on them either.
    I did notice that this year we haven't had one single tomato worm in the garden whereas last year we had hundreds. Could there be a connection such as it's just a bad year in this area?
    Thanks...W

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC

I have froze them in water as well as just corn meal. Both worked well. Never have blanched them though.