Catalpa worms

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by rocko, Jul 7, 2007.

1. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    has anybody seen any worms yet this year? i have been looking around whenever i am out but no luck yet. alot of places i used to find them have been developed or closed to the public or the trees have been removed for no apparent reason.if you have seen any post a reply and let us know. i am almost out of them and the wife refuses to use my doughbait (she says it stinks, i say it smells like a fine wine),so if she cant go fishing i cant go either. sooooo pleeease let me know.

2. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Yes...The catalpa worms are now on the trees. They are still a little small to use yet, but in about a week they should be in prime form. I live in the central part of the state, so it may vary slightly in your area.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Same here. I live in cemtral Mo. as well, and have worms on my tree. Most are still small. Don't have very many yet, and the wasps are already laying eggs on the few that I have. A few are big and fat. I'm gonna let em grow till next week before I start collecting them for bait.

4. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Does anyone have a picture of catalpa worm I probably have seen them just want a pic so I know what I am looking at Thanks

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's a pic. If you know what a catalpa tree looks like, you should be able to find some worms. They won't be found anywhere else.

Attached Files:

6. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    Trees, trees, and more trees around here and not a single worm on any of them!!! This sis getting so frustrating. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'd never heard of a catalpa worm until I joined the BOC. And had no idea they were found in Missouri. Not sure I'm man enough to put one of those squishy things on a hook though - I'll bet they ooze green gunk all over the place...:eek:oooh:

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I read where the real catalpa worm fishermen will bite the head off and then turn them inside out on the hook. :big_smile_2:
    You should be able to spot these guys pretty easy......:eek:oooh:

9. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    catalpa worms need to go through a curing process. when catfish bite on catalpa worms its not the green junk they are going after, if that was the case there would not be a need for the worm itself. you could just mash up one of the leaves ansd put that on the hook. when catalpa worm are in the cured form they are considerably smaller, around 1 1/2" long and they have a whitish milky secretion that is in the inside, usually right before the chrysillis stage of their short, short, life.... that is when they are considered ideal for fishing, also at this time the obtain their leathery skin that makes them so tough. if you find them you are lucky, if you find them and and are able to pick them you are blessed,if you are like me and have to buy them ....well how can you put this lightly, S. O. L. thanks for all the replys from everybody and have a good whatever you all are doing today.

10. Spoonfish is right! I've seen them beheaded and threaded on the hook wrong side out. Excellent bait for just about any fish. And... it don't really matter how they go on the hook actually. Geeze, I remember catching those things by the buckets full. My hands would look like I'd been huskin' black walnuts! But did we ever catch fish. MoFlats

11. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    I've noticed there aren't near as many worms as I used to find and the majority of the catalpa trees don't even have worms on them. I even went back today to check a tree I KNOW had worms on it last week and I only found ONE!!! Anyone know what's happening to them???

Hey Matt,
    Where 'bouts in central MO you live...wouldn't mind having a buddy to fish the rivers with.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    every thing in nature eats catalpa worms.birds are the most danger for them.we have people here that sit and guard their trees with a pellet gun.wasps and flies eat and kill worms by laying eggs on them so you have to be fast to get them first.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  14. mospurs

mospurs New Member

State:
    missouri
    Why do some trees get them and some do not?I know a lot of trees but few with worms.Can you transfer them???????

15. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Yes...I did transfer a few from a larger tree to a small one in my yard and they have taken very well. They are big enough now to use for bait, but when I transferred them they were only about 1/4 of an inch long. I just took a couple of leaves that had several worms on them and just laid the leaves in my tree and they have now just about eaten every leaf on my little tree.

16. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live in the STL area, and I can't recall ever seeing a tree with flowers that look like Orchids on them. I've seen things that look like bean pods, but they are all Locust trees.

Where are all these "TREES"?

17. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    where do you live in stl?? maybe i could point you in the direction to seed one in person, once you have seen the tree you will never forget it. it is also has a street name which is lady cigar tree.

18. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live in North O'Fallon out by St. Paul. Ive never even seen one of these types of trees out in my neck of the woods.

I appreciate your offer. I'd love to try these after all I have heard of them.

19. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    In Nc we went the other day to a tree that had them last year and nothing. Went to one a good distance away and it was full of them. We left alot in the tree but still had over a thousand worms!!

20. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    the last 25 dozen came from n.c. we just cant seem to find any here.must be nice to be you.