Catalpa worms

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by Robert4361, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Robert4361

Robert4361 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Anyone know anywhere in louisiana where i can find some catalpa worms for sale? i've checked several bait shops with no luck. any help would be appreciated.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

Don't know anything about your part of the country far as Catalpa Worms goes but I know around here we get them off the Catalpa tree.Don't usually find them in bait shops. Log onto the net type in Catalpa Worms and you'll find all kinds of information on them. Best of luck in your search.

3. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    There's a tackle store here in Shreveport called Bacon's that sells frozen catalpa worms.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've never seen them in TN/VA for sale.

I did get a 'baby' tree, a couple of years back, planted it at Mom's and this year, one of my 'idjut' brothers mowed it down, so I think I lost it. I've been mowing there for over 13 years, not counting when I was a kid, and he decides to mess up my Mom's yard. He not only mowed my baby tree down, he covered EVERY flower she has in grass, which I then had to spend time removing............:crazy: brothers.

Oh well, I know where I can get another sapling. :big_smile:

Take care.
    Cheryl

5. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    Once you plant the trees there is a 9 out of 10 chances they won't have any Catapla worms on them, The place I uused to work had the trees all over the place and I watched the trees for years hoping to find worms on them but never did. I did find one tree back in the woods where I worked and when I got through getting 10,000 red bugs off and scratchin for two weeks I said th H... with this and will let someone find them. :roll_eyes:

6. Shep

Shep New Member

State:
    Lamar Arkansas
    we are starting to see them here in Ark

7. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    You may have to plant some worms on the trees that have none. I had some trees that lost the worms from a combination of birds and insecticide. Had a huge flock of blackbirds find the worms and they ate almost every one. When the birds had moved on a guy I had working for me was tending the dog pen that the trees were near and he decided to spray for flies to keep the dogs comfy. Problem with that was he used liquid sevin that we had on hand for treating army worms if the hay, and sprayed the Catalpa trees down in the process....The next year no worms were on the trees. Luckily we had another stand of Catalpa trees on the property that were planted around a old homesite. The house is long gone but the Catalpa and pear trees still produce...anyhoo, got some worms from these trees and re-introduced them on the barren trees and got healthy population of worms back

8. BigLaCatfish

BigLaCatfish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We had a tree at our old place with them on them.My daughter lives there now,but the last couple of years there aint been no worms on it. They sure make a mess on the hood of your truck.:smile2:

9. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I checked with Bacon's for Catalpa worms a couple weeks back and they did not have any. The Catalpa worms have been slow coming out this year. Out of 20 trees on my place only one has had worms so far this year. I know the birds are cleaning them off the trees before they get one inch long. Maybe they will be better the later it gets.

10. Fred Rankin

Fred Rankin New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisiana
    I have about six young catalpa trees in my back yard. I am getting enough worms to fish with. It helps to transfer worms to a tree that hasn't had any.

I noticed that a few of the worms had white eggs on them. I checked the interned for catalpa worm parasites and found that a small wasp lays her eggs inside the live worm and the wasp larve makes a white cocoon on the outside of the catalpa worm. The internet site said this was good because it keeps the catalpa worm population in check. I gathered all the affected worms and burned them. I will keep the population in check - - I don't need the wasp' help.

Each fall I cut the tops out of the trees. I think the worms like the new growth and the worms are easier to get to.

11. ARwhiteskin

ARwhiteskin New Member

State:
    Arkansas...by God!
    Mr Shep, I aint sure where Lamar is off the top of my head. To my credit, I've been away from home for almost 12 years. I hail from Doddridge south of Texarkana. We have about 12 trees on the family property and get worms on pretty much the same 3 trees every year. We might be close enough to LA to get em regular like that. Dont know where you would go to buy them though. I always carry some down to my sister in Shreveport so she can use em out on Cross Lake. She fishes a little. :wink:

12. ARwhiteskin

ARwhiteskin New Member

State:
    Arkansas...by God!
    Also, I'm stationed out here in GA now and they have a ton of trees, but few worms. Or so I thought. I know where 40 trees are on Ft Gordon, but only found one small tree back in the woods that had any worms on it. I found the tree in late March and pulled 100 worms off of it. Turkey season was coming so I just froze them. April rolled around and I went back out to see if there were any more worms on the tree. Well, to my suprise the tree had grown new leaves and had more worms on it than it did the first time. This time I had my son with me and we got 100 more off. Now, to save time and space here, I'll get to the end of my story. We gathered 500 worms off that one tree over the summer last year. This summer I've been fishing on the Savannah River alot and there are catalpa trees all over its banks. Whats weird is that 1 out of 4 trees will usually have worms on it. But the trees here on post are barren. I dont think you can predict what them things will do at all. They're crazy critters!