Catalpa worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by trey5569, Jun 13, 2007.

1. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    i have located a number of trees all of them are in bloom and the beans are dry and falling off any way when is the best time to locate the worms morning night mid day does it matter time of year spring summer or fall and what about rainfall it has been very dry here hasn't really rained in 5 or 6 weeks

2. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    It want matter!!! If the worms are there they will stay until all of the leafs are gone!!!

3. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    In WVA I would start looking for them in early July to late August. You never know when they might appear. Just remember.....not all trees get the worms on them. :(

4. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    This is true but if you put some on them this year you will have them from now on!!!

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when you find some remember you dont have to climb the tree or beat the worms off with a long pole.All you have to do is show up at first light and the ones that are ready will crawl down the tree to your waiting hand.

6. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    Any of you guys have any worms to spare? I need some to put on my trees here in Missouri. I will gladly pay you for your trouble.

Thanks,

Bob

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas

? Huh ,Please explain Johnnie

8. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The ones that are fully matured will crawl down the trunk of the tree, move out a little way from the tree, and then burrow down into the soil to pupate until next spring. If you're there when a large flush of them are migrating down you can get them off of the trunk or even off the ground.

There are small parasitic wasps that can wipe out the worms so a tree that has had them year after year can all of a sudden not have them one year.