Catalpa worms

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bwillaub, Apr 4, 2007.

1. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am looking to purchase a few hundred of these little buggars when they appear this Summer. I grew up in Alabama and used to walk into my backyard and pick them off two trees we had. They were the best catfish bait I ever used. I am now living in Missouri. We have lots of trees here but I have been unable to find any worms since I moved here. I would like to use the worms I get to salt a couple of trees I have here. If any of you good Alabams can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

2. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I will let you know when a spot some on my trees. I want charge you for them, but we will have to figure out whats the best wat to mail them without killing them. I know they ship crickets in the mail with no trouble so maybe I can pack plenty of green leaves with'm and they will make it.

3. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I appreciate that, Turkey. Where in Alabama are you from? My family is mostly in East Central Alabama. I also have a brother in Prattville.

I think packing the leaves with them should keep them just fine. I insist on at least paying you for the shipping.

Thanks again,

Bob

4. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I live in Fairhope Al now but I fish around montgomery on the alabama river. I have some land in Brantley , al that is loaded with catalpa trees. As soon as they hatch out I will give you a shout.

5. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds great!! I have heard that a few are being found on some trees in Eastern Alabama. It shouldn't be long.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When we used to keep bees dad ordered some bee hives from Sears Roebuck.
    They came UPS in a small uncontained wire cage with the queen in a seperate cage in the larger cage.
    They always showed up alive.

7. backedde

backedde New Member

State:
    missouri
    <P>&nbsp;i agree i have fished with these worms all my life and could tell you lots of great storyies&nbsp;but any way the best way to ship them is to put them in saw dust you can also&nbsp;refridgerate&nbsp;&nbsp;them in saw&nbsp; dust and they will live for days i live in missouri and have 15 trees in my yard are worms dont come on til the middel of june but i would be glad to send you some our i will be in flornce alabma june 10 for tournement</P>

8. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama

Backedde, if you are fishing the Cabela's KK you better check your calendar, because think it is June 16th on Wilson/Pickwick.

BTW are you going to be fishing with "catawba's" during the tournament :0a14: hehehe

9. backedde

backedde New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes your'e right the tournament is june 16 on the pickwick/wilson lake,no i wont be fishing with catopa worms, when you all have all that skippy down there. i am looking for someone to catch and send me some skipjack and i will pay for it, if anyone is interested. i will be prefishing from the 10th thru the 15th of june. thanks alot.

10. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Bob, I don't know how close you live to Oklahoma but they are pretty abundant around here in June. I live about 25 Miles from Joplin. I will keep an eye out for them.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Backedde, maybe we could work out a swap. Skippies for 'tawba worms? We'll be going over to Pickwick a week from next Wednesday to stock up on them.

12. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good look next week on the skips. I went yesterday and they were few and far between. This cold snap must have'em skeered... LOL They'll be back though because they were thick as thieves two weeks ago.

I'd be willing to help a folks out with some skips, just send me an e-mail.

13. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I appreciate it, guys. I'm in Knob Noster, MO....backedde, jbarnes. I work at Whiteman AFB. About 3 hours from Joplin....I think. I fish Truman mostly.
    I'll certainly pay for the shipping of the worms. Just let me know how much? I wish I could find some of the little critters around here. I'll keep in touch.

Thanks again, Bob