Catalpa Worms!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by pursuing_cats, Aug 10, 2006.

1. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Just to let all the Tennessee members know that they need to be checking the trees if they know where they are. I found one today loaded with alot of worms. Although they are still small, at least they are there. I located alot of trees recently in an area I thought I would never see one or ever expected one to be. 15 plus to be exact. I will be checking these again soon for worms.

2. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    hey pursuing are you guys back in town for the weekend? i so you and aftercats should maybe hook up with me a puddycat

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I sure wish someone would take me and show me a catalpa tree. Can't say I've ever seen one.

4. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    If you lived here in Ga. I could ride you around for an hour and show you a hundred + of 'em. Catalpa trees everywhere around here.....just no worms YET!!!!! :sad2: I've got 3 trees which have always given me enough worms to fish with the entire summer but my trees have only had a very few worms....not worth gathering. I keep checking 'em daily and still havent seen the eggs layed on the leaves yet. Where's them bumper crops of worms this year I wonder?!?:angry_2:

5. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Dang, a lady I know that runs a nature preserve here in N. AL said she'd call me when the worms come out. Hope to get the call soon.

Had a guy just this week say the worms are gone here now, thew came out in July. If you're just getting them in TN, then they should still be here now, right.

Are they any good frozen? It's almost too hot here to fish.

6. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Whistler here is a catalpa tree ,they have big heart shaped leaves and some have long beans hanging down from the branches,they have white blooms on them early and all trees dont have the catalpa worms on them,but can be started if worms are placed on them from another tree

7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    They have been on here in ohio for over a week now,good luck on finding some good producing trees

8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    The best cat bait ever! prim

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Polecaver we have been collecting catalpas for years. I believe they work as good after being frozen. There are 2 ways to do it (right that is). Collect your worms and put them in something they can't get out of. I like cricket cages. Keep them for 2 or 3 days. Every day dump out the poop and lightly rinse them off. By the way keep them cool or they will die. The reasom for this process is to allow them to toughen up. They will shrink some so try to get good ole big ones. Next just rinse them good and put them in something like tupperware or freezer bags or what I use is the Ziploc clear plastic bowls that can be reused. You can get them at Wally. Fill whatever you put them in about 2/3 full with worms. Then cover them with plain lime Kool-Aid. Not the powder,go ahead and mix it up according to directions leaving off the sugar and freeze. The other way is to just cover them with water and add a spoonful of Fruit Fresh. The Kool-Aid or Fruit Fresh keeps the worms from turning black. Don't try the cornmeal thing as the worms will dry out and turn black. I saw that idea on the internet and tried it wasting about 40 dozen worms.

Hope this helps

whatever it takes

Cheez

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Bryan thanks to Jimmy T. I got two of them trees in my yard so if you're ever down this way stop by.

11. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Michael,

We, pursuing_cats, aftercats and myself, are planning a trip tomorrow night. Provided the weather is not quite as bad as this evening. Will keep you posted and PM you to let you know for sure. Right now we intend to put in at Cheatham Dam. Hopefully we can meet you and puddycat there.

12. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    CHEEZ, Thanks for the great information on freezeing the catalpa worms!
    Now that's why I joined the BOC to learn from the masters! Thanks. prim

13. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Whistler, here'sa few pictures that might help. When you see the pic of the catalpa worm keep in mind it isnt grown yet. When grown they have a wide black stripe down their back.

Attached Files:

14. Trojan

Trojan New Member

State:
    tn
    What is the best way to harvest the worms? I have found several of the trees, but no worms yet. I just want to be ready to getum when they get ready.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the tip on perserveing worms I have a brother in ms that keeps the tops of his :big_smile: cut to about his reach high:big_smile:

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Planted one at Mom's a couple years back and it's still a baby. Only about 3 feet tall, and if it doesn't get worms, then I know where to find some. :smile2:

Hope I get to try them before I'm not able to fish. How fast do the trees grow?

Take care.
    Cheryl

17. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I'm not sure how ya'll gather the worms but my grandfather taught me to lay out a 15'-20' cheap plastic tarp. He took a pvc pole and made a hook for the end and drilled it through the pvc. This way he could reach up 15-20' in the tree and shake the limbs. The tarp makes em easy to find. In 5-10 minutes we had several days of bait.... Hope this helps ya...

18. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    a friend lives two miles away had loads of worms in early july. i got 3 dozen off his tree. i went back two days later and they were all gone. my tree has not had any this year. last year i had worms for the first time in several years. cant figure them out.

19. Trojan

Trojan New Member

State:
    tn
    Thanks a lot Savage. As soon as I can find some I will try that method. I have found the trees but no worms yet.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Craddock 1 you may need to reseed your tree Cheryl my brother told me that the trees grow fast I have one i rooted this year hope to be able to seed it next yr:big_smile: