Catalpa Worms

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Fishin'_Fool, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    FYI...I noticed the catalpa worms are on the trees now. Better get'em before they get up to the higher leaves where they can't be reached, or before the hornets lay their eggs on them and kill them off.

2. catman42

catman42 New Member

State:
    missouri
    why are they good bait:cool2:lol

3. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Not sure, but the channel cat love'em. Don't think I'd use them to catch any trophy fish, but if you want plenty of eaters they're pretty good bait.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When the worms get hard to reach, we lay a white drop cloth or sheet on the ground and take a long cane pole and hit the leaves. They fall and we load them up. If you have access to catalpa worms, you have catfish gold. Great channel cat bait. Some people put them in cornmeal and freeze them for hard times.

5. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    last month and dang it I don't know where any Catalpa Trees are. I guess I could just drive around town till I see one in somebody's yard and go knock on their door and ask them if I can grab some worms outta their tree!

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Talked to a friend yesterday that has trees in his yard that are loaded. Takin the boys on a worm gathering after while. He also said bring sacks and buckets and pick all the apples i want. fryed fiddlers and apple pie, i like the sound of this more all the time.

7. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Man, now your talkin:wink:

8. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    thanks for the info:wink:

9. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    what kind of trees are they in

10. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    catalpa trees:wink:

11. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    I have a couple young Catalpa trees in my yard, Id love to get some worms to plant on my trees. Anyone know how to go about this process?

12. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    I've got a very small catalpa tree in my yard and I've put worms on it the past two years, but they're not returning each year, yet. I don't know if they just show up on mature trees or what?!?

13. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    Tried to seed trees for years with no luck till I read on the internet that the worms come down out of the trees and get under leaf litter to hibernate.
    Now I have seeded a few trees that are where the leaves don't get raked and have had some luck.
    If you can find one in the woods 100 yards or less from the one you want to get worms off of that is the one to seed.
    Good luck and remember to leave some for seed where ever you get your worms so they will be there next year.

14. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    all these years and I never even thought about seedin' wormless trees. I'm gonna try it!