Catalpa Worms

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Titghtline, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Titghtline

Titghtline New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just wanted to let you fellas know that I found a bunch of Catalpa worms last night. We used some on Saturday night and caught about 5 channels. In my opinion this is the best bait for catching channel cats along the banks in brush piles. Get out there and find some. These are the first I have found.

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Found some TO day,:big_smile: on 3 trees looks like their getting started, not much of the leaves ate. Now or never.
    May check some more tomarrow.
    JIM

3. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Do you find the worms in the pods or on the leaves?

4. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    Where do you find them if not on catapla trees? I remeber getting them when i was a kid but thats the only place we found them.

5. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Let me explain myself, on a catalpa tree there are leaves and pods. Do the worms burrough into the pods as I've heard they do, or are they just found eating the leaves.:wink: Welcome to the boc by the way.

6. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    i remeber when the time was right you couldnt hardly see the tree they were so many on the leeves, bark, and pods. As long as you beat the black birds to them. I oringinally from Louisiana and moved to TN. Since i been here the whole 15 years i havent seen one but one time. An old guy was on the bank and had a cofee can full. He also had one of those floating baskets slap full of channel cats. I was wondering if you could find them on anything else but a catalpa tree. I dont even know if thats the right name for the tree. I just know thats what i was taught at a young age.

7. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    Well i just did some digging on Google. It looks like you can only find them on the catalpa tree. I didnt know it but they turn into some type of moth. Learn something new everyday.

8. Titghtline

Titghtline New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have had my best luck checking trees that are fairly young. Say 7-30 feet in height. Look under the leafs. Just because you dont see them on the outside means nothing. I found two trees last night. One was obvious and they were on the outside. Leafs torn all apart. The other looked untouch and if I had not seen 1 on the outside I would have left it. I looked under the leafs and they were everywhere. Also, this tree had nothing but giganto catalpa worms. The reason they were so big is they have not fell to the ground yet like they had on the other tree. Take some binos like I did. It paid off huge last night while hunting these trees.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    They are only found on Catalpa trees. When you find them place a white mat or sheet on the ground and take a pole and hit the leaves. Have two are three kids to pick them up off the sheet. Not all catalpa trees have the worms every year. If you can find them you have hit pay dirt. Another good way to fish them is to turn them inside out.

10. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    The Catalpa worm starts as an egg laid by the Spinx moth on the leaves. They develop into a the worm and eat the way down the tree. The borrow into the ground and form a cocoon, emerge as a Spinx moth and the cycle continues. They can be found only on Catalpa trees. Some have them some don't. Short trees are easier to find them. You can collect them by just laying sheets or netting on the ground and check it in the mornings as the try to borrow into the ground. If you find the big female let her be or plant her on another tree that doesn't have them. I did some google investigation a few yearw back. LOL
    After growing up with all the tales of how the tree produces them, they only grow on female trees, you can freeze them and the will come back to life I decided to find out more about them. Me and my buddy had a contest in one of our holes. I out fished him with fresh cut shad against his catalpa worms. They are great bait but a pain to rig and stay on the hook. I could catch to or three channels on the same piece of bait while he was constantly running for the worm bucket.

Attached Files:

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you dont mind getting up at first light,and i meen when the skys just turning gray,you can just stand by the tree and pick them off as they climb down.when the worm is ready to go into the ground to change into the moth they just climb down.no need to knock the small worms off if ya dont have to.

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Now I need to find some Catalpa trees.

13. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    I used to use them when I was younger. Where I live now there are several trees around, 3 across the road, but I have not seen any worms on them for a few years. I need to go look again.

14. nakedemperor

nakedemperor New Member

State:
    indiana
    we're just beginning to see catalpas this week!found the young saplings full of worms,the older/established trees were empty!in 2 days and about 2 1/2 hours,we were able to harvest abour 50dz!i'll be ice-fishing with some this year!

15. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here is a pic of a catalpa tree for the guys that dont know what they look like[​IMG]:big_smile: