Catalpa worms whole or inside out??????

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by knmfish, Sep 15, 2006.

1. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When fishing with catlapa worms in a small rivers do you use them whole or turn them inside out? ging this weekend wanted to know which way works the best. never used them before.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Kenny,

I have always "bit" the head off and turned them inside out on a stick. They will work right side out but not as well, IMO

3. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    A lot of good tips on catalpa worms on this page:

http://www.catalpaworms.com/

I turn them inside out as described on that web site.

That page says you have to get eggs to put on a new tree to get worms started on the new tree - BUT I tried a new experiment and JUST yesterday found a bunch of baby catalpa worms on my new 4 ft and 5ft catalpa trees that I planted in the spring

My theory (that seems to have worked) was to put catalpa worm pellets 'crap' under my trees - hoping the moth would think this was an active tree and lay eggs on my trees

Then yesterday - I found about a hundred tiny new catalpa worms on my little / new trees

People may think I'm crazy but I have saved some catalpa worm pellets (crap) in my freezer and plan to put it under my trees next spring (and a old tree that never had worms before)

BTW: Only 4 trees - out of 19 trees - in my neighborhood had worms this year - BUT the great news was that the big tree next door had 3 crops - the last one being the last two weeks in August

And now I have a new crop in September i.e. very good year in central Arkansas. I have about 500 adult worms in my freezer - after giving 5 dozen to my neighbor who had the most productive tree.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    That's a good idea John. I hadn't heard that before.

st

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I've Used Them Both Ways,wish I Had A Tree Of Them.lol

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thats agood idea john I have a tree that I rooted the first of July that has realy took of I tryed 3 but only got one to take im going to try a couple more As soon as I can get a branch:big_smile:

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Caltalpa worms are scent bags with tough skins. How you present them on the hook depends on the current. No current-inside out; slight current-two halves right side out; stronger current-whole.

8. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always turn them inside out. Seems to get better results.

9. new to fishing

new to fishing New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have no idea what you guys are talking about but if you guys have a pic or something it would be helpful

10. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
  11. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I always turn them inside out, just seems to get the scent out better.