Catalpa worms in rivers

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by stonemaster, Jul 21, 2006.

1. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    the catalpa worms are just big enough to use now so I took some to the river last night and not even one bite. I was told this morning that they are no good in the ky. river. only in ponds and lakes. Does anyone know if this is true or not? This is my first time using them.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If you pop the head off and turn them inside out that might help you some. I have only used them in lakes and ponds but have seen people using them in coves and breaks in the current of rivers with success.

3. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Catalba worms are really one of the best channel baits around. The bigger the worm the better, more scent comes off a large one. The juice needs to run, so at least tear the head off, if you don't want to turn the worm inside out. They sure love em' down here. Good fishin', Jack

4. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't fished any rivers this year, but I have tried using catalpas at a few pay lakes this summer and I haven't got one hit on them all year. Usually they're golden at the pay lakes, but this year the cats aren't biting them.

Also, I haven't been able to find catalpa worms this year. I live in Louisville, KY and they have been scarice. My buddy's dad has been hunting catalpa worms for years and he hasn't found many this year either. Anyone know of a place where they are abundant?

5. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    I have had good luck with them in the river, but have found that if you dont get the sent out by cutting the side at least, they wont get hit. A friend of mine turned his inside out and was getting hammered and I just stuck them on a hook and got nothing, but when I started putting little hole in the side with my hook, I started getting hits. Putting some little hole in the side seamed to make them last longer to.
    by the way they were out up here in northern kentucky about three weeks ago and I snaged fifteen dozen of those bad boys and have them in the freezer.