Catalpa Worms in Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Spencer_Blanton, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I saw a post from Salmonid that mentioned Catalpa Worms on a tree in Ohio. Is anyone else seeing them? Is this the time of year to look?

Spencer

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I was out Saturday morning checking my trees and as of now they havnt started to come on yet,I am in central Ohio

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this is about the time they start coming out. remember though, not many catalpa tree's will have 'em so if you find a good tree keep it to yourself.

4. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went out today and found some. They are out now. I don't know how I am going to get them the tree is huge and has no lower limbs. Guess I am going to have to get a ladder or something.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm going to have to check our cabin. We have a couple thousand acres of wooded land in Southeast Ohio (Hocking County) so chances are we have them. Dink/Salmonid man if your up for a road trip let me know, we could hit the river w/ Flathunter during the night.

6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've been watching my secret tree, On a back road on the way home from work, I haven't seen any yet. Some leaves look chewed on but I didn't see any worms. The tree is great, It blew over in a storm but still alive and is covered in worms every year. Just walk under it and pick them off. Lots of Catulpas all around it, but the others don't have worms. Must be a genetic thing. ??

7. Spencer_Blanton

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Tim (Bigones) and I went harvesting yesterday. I think I sweat off a good 15 lbs. The tree he had found was indeed thick with horms. The branches were very high up though. We started with laying a tarp out, throwing a weighted line into the branches, and giving the tree a very good shake. What we discovered was that the little buggers ability to hold on was very impressive. This is where my 24' fiberglass extension ladder and tree trimming pole came into play. I'm not sure how the largest person (me @ 260lbs) ended up at the top of the ladder, but we basically used the pole to pick individual leaves or small branches.

We checked several other catalpa trees, 10 or so, and found the worms on 2 more. I'm not sure why some have them while their neighbors do not. Salmonid mentioned some folk lore about the gender of the tree making a difference, but I can't find any research to back that. It sounds the best to date though. I will try transferring a dozen or so to the trees near me that are more convenient to get to. If they spread, my neighbors are in for a surprise!

In the end, we ended up with about 6 dozen worms ranging from the size of my pinky to red worms. Several had wasp eggs on them which we removed. I'm not sure it will save the worm though. Our intention is to burn up the channel cats this Friday. Wish us luck. It may be the last decent fishing trip for Tim and me before he moves to Virginia.

Spencer

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Been checking here in SE Ohio and we don't have em yet.

9. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just checked four trees in columbus area...none are in there either. Cant wait to find some.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My buddy has a tree in his yard and I checked it yesterday and a lot of the leaves were eaten but I only saw a half dozen or so worms but they were all 3-4". Two had eggs on them. I didn't know those were wasp eggs. Oddly though, the tree was swarming with wasps. I couldn't get any of them worms right now if I wanted to because the wasps were so thick.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    What do these worms look like?

12. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Gary they get 3 to 6 inches long and are black and yellow striped, they are on some of the catalpa trees and eat the leaves ,one of the best fish baits there is channael cats love them

13. Spencer_Blanton

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Here's a site that has some info and pictures on it.

http://www.catalpaworms.com/

Interestingly, there's a cross link back to the BOC!

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man, all this talk about catalpa's is makin me want to go load up on some........AND HIT THE PAY-POND! (for farm channels of course:big_smile: )

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How big do you usually catch with these is it just eaters or do you all get bigguns with these worms?

16. Spencer_Blanton

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I just got a call from Tim (Bigones). The worms we caught and refrigerated on Monday are now dead gelatinous masses. 6 dozen dead worms. :sad2: Daggone it! My plan was to work a pay pond for farm raised channels and a big fish fry for Sunday. My choices are to now try and get some Thursday night or buy chicken at Krogers...

Where did we go wrong? The book I have, "Fishing with Live Bait", said they'd live a couple weeks in the fridge. :angry: Any thoughts?

Spencer

17. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    my thought would be to use a 5 gal. bucket and poke holes in a lid. put some branches off the catalpa in there with leaves and stick them in the shade. Night crawlers live down for coolness and dampness. Catalpas chill in the open so chilling them killed them

18. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've kept them for a couple weeks in an aquarium with a screen on the top. I put in some leaves to eat but, they really stink. If they start looking bad, I put them in a baggie and freeze them. They still catch cats but they seem to prefer fresh.
    Dinkbuster1... Don't worry, I bet turtles like them too...:lol: :lol:

19. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ever see that silky looking stuff up in trees those are these worms and i've herd from a lot of people that these worms for some reason are the poop. They are basicly catfish nip...

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey guys on the catalpa trees you that don`t have worms you might want to invest in some worms and plant them they will grow on mail or female tree s ( with or with beans most trees just has to be startedI ) IrI read a thread a couple weeks ago on cutting a branch and rooting it works I rooted 3 one has sprouted leaves in spite of 100 degree weather:lol: