Catalpa worms in Iowa

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by primitive, Aug 6, 2006.

1. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Now ( first and second week in August) is the time to be on the look out for catalpa worms in Iowa. A good rain or high wind may knock them to the ground or use a ladder. I have only used them twice, and each time it was awsome fishing. Catalpa worms, in many peoples opinion, are the best catfish bait you can use, bar none. To a catfish, the juice in the worm is like blood to a shark.

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was around a Catalpa tree today and the worms are starting to work. Looked as if they are small yet and I am told they get lots bigger, so I'm going to wait a week. Later Andy

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Still haven't sen any here as of yet but all the people here use pestsides so I may be serching for nothing.

4. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Great news Andy, I'm still looking, thought those high winds we had in CR this morning would knock some down. Still looking. prim

5. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Did a neighborhood search wednesday and found about a dozen or so fat juicy ones, some that are very skinney, and some with the parisitic wasp eggs on them. The ones with the eggs on them will die soon. Going to take them fishing saturday and see if they are as good as I remembered. :big_smile: