Catalpa worms for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by knmfish, Sep 14, 2006.

1. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am trying to find out if anyone has ever used Catalpa worms for flat heads in smaller rivers like the grand in Mo. I have read that people have caught flats but i have never fished with them before always used creek chubs, perch. I am planning on giong this weekend and use catalpas. just wandering!

2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Don't know about flatheads, I've never used them for that but they are killer bait for channel cats. grizzly

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

While I have never heard of anyone catching flatheads on catalpa worms anything is possible. I have caught plenty of channels on them. There is a thread on here stating that people were catching flatheads on punchbait so why not catalpa worms. If the fish is hungry he will eat.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Caught a couple of channels on catalpa worms the other day. My friends thought I was crazy, but they do work for channels. Make sure you turn them inside out. If fishing for flats, I would take some perch for back up. I doubt if they will notice the worms. Don't know that though. Let us know how it works out.

5. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I used slimmy slugs one time. Used a rag to put them on a hook. They worked great for Channels here in Maryland. They stay on the hook like a piece of pork rind. Hard to find when it's cold though.

6. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I agree with the rest of the guys, catalpa's are killer for channels but the flatties dont seem to notice them much, still prefer bluegills or my personal favorite bait which is bullheads just cant seem to beat them just my .02 worth good luck which ever way you go :big_smile:

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Awesome bait for channels! I tried for flatheads on them a couple of times but they just wouldn't produce. I wouldn't waste your time trying them on Flatheads. Just trying to save you some time:big_smile: !

8. flattyfisher

flattyfisher New Member

never heard of catching them on those either..but i guess anything is possible!

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never heard of any one catching flat head on them But I have heard of people Catching them on lures:cool2:

10. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks everyone for there respone We are planing on taking creek chubs and perch too. surely we catch something!!! catfish/ flat anything is great!!!!!!

11. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Any panfish will bite them here in Alabama, we have caught small flatheads 2-3lbers on catalpa worms off trotlines but we have also caught that many carp and buffalo on trotlines on them also. Good bait for channels and small blues maybe as good as anything. I am sure you can use them to catch somekind of live bait for the flatheads.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hehe, yea I've just recently last week indirectly caught two (9 & 7 lb) trotlining with catalpas. They ate the fish I caught with the catalpas, a crappie and a fiddler, on 1/0 hooks! In the same spot in the river! Seems that I've stumbled upon one of those flathead trails I've heard of. Since then I've caught two more (12 & 7 lb) in the same exact spot by switching to 4/0 hooks with bluegill.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Checked the trotlines in the pouring rain this morn and had about an 11 lb flathead caught on a doughball (1/0 hook). With this batch of boilie doughballs I included about 3 dozen catalpa worms blended into the mix. Also caught three channels and one buffalo sucker.