Catalpa worms for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by knmfish, Sep 14, 2006.

1. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are Catalpa worms good bait for the river. I read that people use them just wanted to know if any one out there has caught flat heads using them? I have picked up some am going to try this weekend.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are these basically the same as green river worms? I have heard so much about both kinds but I don't believe that Catalpa's are available in Missouri.I have seen some kind of paste that claims to be made out of them,whether it is true or not I've no idea. I have heard lots of talk about green river worms.I am told you actually dig them up from the river bank,but the times I have been there well........it just strikes me as being dangerous especailly when I heard someone tell me I want to watch out for quick mud. Now this is a term of which i am unfamiliar. I am told it is much more dangerous than quick sand! Any comments?--------------pk powell:smile2:

3. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have been picking up catlapa worms off of catalpa trees for the last few days the hatch out 2-3 times a year. We live in northcentral MO I dont think they are the same as green river worms. For more info and pictures of catlapa worms go to www.catalpaworms.com they say that cats can bee caught on them but we are wandering if anyone around here has ever used them.

4. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Hi All,
    I have used catalpa worms many times and have caught a lot of channels and small blues on them, the best way to use these worms is to turn them inside out. i use a small stick and start at the head and push the stick in and the outer body will be inside and the inters will be out. this may sound crazy but its the best way to fish with them. you need to ware a glove if you dont want to get your hands stained up. Last time i used these worms was at santee cooper sc and caught lots of channels 2-5lbs but nothing big, but i had a ball catching them.

5. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Catalpa worms are a good channel cat bait but I've never caught a flathead on them.

PK, there are catalpa worms in Missouri, you will find them on Catalpa trees, they aren't actually a worm , they are a caterpillar. They are nothing like the green river worms that I believe you are talking about.

6. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for telling me about catching channels that seems to be what everyone is saying. We are going to try this weekend. We are planning on trying creek chubs/ perch also. Surley we will catch something!!!! Let you know.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well Kenny weather you catch any fish or not I just want to (Welcome you to the BOC)And yes Catalpa worms do work great. Hope you catch lots of fish.GOD BLESS and again Welcome!!

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Hey Brother, Welcome To Your New Home. Catalpa Worms Have Caught Flatties,i've Actually Seen One Caught That Weighed In At 29lbs Use A Slip Bobber And Catalpa Worms. Boy Was I Shocked

9. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for all your responses.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've never caught a flathead, but I have caught numerous channels with them. I like to cut them up into 1/2" sections and thread several sections onto a 3/0 Kahle hook. Be careful because they "spit" a dark, sticky liquid kinda like tobacco juice that is a real pain to get off your hands.

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    We have these catalpa trees up here in Pa. but I never seen these worms! Does anyone have a picture of one? I guess theyr'e supposed to be terriffic for cattin' but I don't know what I'm lookin for. LOL Anyone have a pic?

:0a35: ​

12. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Buddah if you go to www.catalpa.com they have pictures of the catalpa catapillar.