Catalpa Worms - For catfish bait do they work?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catmaster, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I herd somewhere that these are awsome bait for catfish. Where do you get them or do they realy work all that well???

2. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    catalpa worms are exellent bait for channel cats..

"Where do you get them"

i think you can buy them prepackaged, but it's best to get them fresh off the "catalpa tree"..

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They make great bait for smaller fish. I cut them in half and wear out the channels and blues. But most are around 2 lbs each.
    PEte

4. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i've had great luck with catalpa worms,i usually get them from the bait store,they only have them certain times of the year

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your fishing around here for farm-raised channels in the "stocked" lakes, and you have catalpa worms, you are pretty much guaranteed all the fish you want! i dont know what it is about those catalpa worms but they are a miracle bait. unfortunately we cant get them up here till the first of august at the earliest, and they go for $3.50 a dozen. lots of guys buy them up by the hundreds around that time and freeze them for the following spring/summer stockings.

6. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have had some luck with catalpa worms with blues and channels. My wife was asking what type of trees should we plant this year.....You'll never guess what I suggested:) . They sell for about $3.00-$4.00 a dozen here too.

7. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    We get them from a few trees that I know of, and Im not big on sharing cause last time I told another fisherman about it they pretty much destroyed it getting them down
    The tress are usally med hieght and have the leaves or Pods that like like big old cigars, Im sure someone has one in there yard

8. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The only one on my property is on the fence line and it's only a small bush so far.

But my next door neighbor has a big tree. The people that own it are not moved in yet (from out of state). However, I've already made a deal with them - that I get to share the worms - and will share some of the catfish I get on trotline

There is another small one on some rental property behind my house - last year I managed to get a few before a fishman down the street wiped them out.

He got them when they were small - while I was hoping to let them grow a bit - so this next year I have a plan

I'm going to try to get them early (before neighbors and before the birds find them). Then I'm going to build a box with a screen bottom - to let waste fall out and then add some leaves - keep it damp - and use a screen top i.e. I'm going to see if I can keep them long enough to let them grow to full size

I did get a couple of full sizes ones last year but not enough to do any good.
    (turtles and bream like them too much IMHO :(

Anyone ever tried or have any luck - keeping them in a box / bucket with leaves - long enough for them get full size - that is what I'm hoping for - because big ones are really hard to find

P.S. Now I can't tell anyone where I live until next winter - have to hide my 'trees' :) :) :)

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i have seen folks fatten them up like that, in big wire mesh cages the size of 55 gal drum.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    as everyone has said catalpa worms are great channel cat bait. my experience is there better fresh than frozen . it seams like the frozen ones dont stay on the hook very well.

11. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hard to find a better bait for smaller catfish mostly channels in our waters here in Alabama. Did not know you could be them, we get them off trees and try to keep theives (birds and other fisherman) out of them. If you freeze them in kro syrup in a plastic bottle they will stay on pretty good. We use them on jugs and trotlines all the time. Got 1200 worms put up in the deep freeze right now waiting till it warms up and start fishing

12. agcat

agcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Where can I find some of these worms in Texas?

13. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

Does anyone have a source for Catalpa worms in Cincinnati?

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we're not gonna see them around here till late july, they come out sooner the further south you go. if i remember correctly they start showing up in w.va. in june.

15. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love them,Catfish love em,Everybody loves em,I have cought 6 with the same worm,them buggers are tough love love love em..:)

16. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Go to E BAY there are a few live bait dealers,with many types of bait offered

17. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    There are several Catalpa trees in our neighborhood and the surrounding woods. I looked and looked last year and did not find a single worm. I am looking to connect with someone further south, where what I've read indicates they are not as sparse, to try and get a starter set going near me. A couple leaves with egg clusters or several pupas from the ground shipped to me should do the trick. If it's early in the season, it appears they have the opportunity to cycle out a few times before the fall. I've only found one vendor that will ship them live. They want $7 plus S&H for a dozen. I'm a little too frugal to pay that.

Any takers? Can we barter a deal? I can tie flies or saboki for trade.

Spencer

18. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    great bait, i have 3 trees in my back yard:)

19. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Pinch off the head, turn 'em inside-out on a matchstick, then hook ' em up. Never fails for channel cats, also bluegill and bass, too. I usually fish Catalpa Worms using a light slipsinker rig, and a small cork on the leader line to set the bait just off the bottom.

Dennis

20. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I used those little buggers one time on a small creek, caught 3 nice sized smallies and about a 2lb channel on them. I just found them on a catalpe tree, would be interested in finding a bait store around here that has them though. Did my best fishing them about 2 feet under a bobber in medium current.