Catalpa worm

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by prince, Sep 15, 2006.

1. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
  2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Congrats on your experiment working so good John. I have heard of transplanting worms to new trees but not the pellets, thanks for the info. Where did you get your little trees to plant? I would like to plant some this spring if I can find some. grizzly

3. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I searched on eBay and found 2 catalpa trees for $12 ($20 with shipping) - and it turns out the place was a nursery in Southern Arkansas (Camden - I think)

My post is misleading - I plan to let the trees grow to about 10-15 before I top them - but at this time they are just 4-5 ft tall (from plants that were about 2 - 3 ft tall)

They have about 2 dozen leaves on each tree. One is shaping up like a bush i.e. round - 4ft tall. Other is at least 5 ft and is shooting straight up.

I planted them in spring and I water them every day - but I was still surprise at the number of leaves / how fast they did grow from little 2 ft twigs

The baby catalpa worms have already eaten most of the lower leaves on the tall one - and the worms on the other tree have vanished - not sure if birds got them - or what - but in two days the bushy tree has lost most of the babies :(

Sorry I can't remember the name of the nursery in Arkansas - but when I did the ebay search there were about a dozen places in USA that sold them. I picked the place in Arkansas because I figured shipping from that close might be safer. And also because the trees were Southern catalpa - some places had Northern catalpa trees i.e. there are different trees

But I just did a quick search on eBay and only found a couple places with trees - one with Southern catalpa was in Utah. You may check ebay from time to time and search on 'Catalpa tree' May be that they sell more in Spring ? ? (best guess)

Hope this helps.

4. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I just went back to ebay and noticed the picture of the catalpa tree from Utah - is NOT a catalpa tree. Least it's not one like the trees around here - it's some type of flower tree

So at this time eBay does not show a catalpa tree for sale :sad2:

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thank you. I've often wondered about those things. very informative! reps to ya'!