Catalpa trees

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catfish_ken, Jun 26, 2006.

1. catfish_ken

catfish_ken New Member

State:
    Belton,SC
    I got four trees for fathers day. I'm told that you need to put the worms on them the first time. Can anyone help me with the right way to get the worms? All I have read on them said the spinx moth will lay eggs to hatch. Is this right?

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ken, If you will PM to Ace, he can tell you anything you need to know, He will be back after july 4th. Yes you do need to start the worms on the trees........steve

3. rango

rango New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have 7 catalpa trees and i never started any worms on them. the catalpa moth will find the trees and lay her eggs on em.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Planting worms on them will speed up the process.
    And some trees Will not have as many worms as the others. I have 14 trees and a few of them never have worms on them. But the one next to them will be covered.
    Also Seen a guy that cut his trees off about 5 ft high. Then they would bush out. And he could take a step ladder and pick off all the worms. I will be doing 2 that way this fall. And see how well it works for me. I have 5 big trees 50ft tall and you can't get the worms off them.

Pete

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have two trees and to speed up the process I transplanted about a dozen males and about 3 dozen of the smaller females with eggs attached to get them started seemed to work pretty good for me.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The easiest way I've found to get the worms off the trees up high is throw a basketball/soccer ball up in the tree.This will knock several off and just pick them up.I started doing this after I wasn't able to climb up the trees anymore.Hope this helps a little bit.

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I just got a tree his last summer it is about three feet tall I hope I get some worms thanks for posting I was wondering the same thing.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Any place locally where these trees can be bought ???

9. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I see them for sale in the newspaper some. I go mine from my grandmothers. If you can find someone with a well estabish tree alot of the time you can find off shoots that how I got mine. Hope this helps
    Stephen

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Ty Ty in GA sells them but not sure of any other places.