Catalpa Around Lake Conway

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by prince, May 25, 2006.

1. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Found small catalpa on the tree next door last night (Mayflower, Arkansas)

Then just now (noon) went back and they are hiding so I went down street to a very small catalpa bush and found two HUGE fat green ones - guess who is going to sit out tonight and fish for catfish

Hopefully will find more worms later today when it cools down.

Just wanted to let people know that the catalpa worms have shown up in this area :eek:oooh:

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Catalpha is good bait but they are getting scarce. Too many pesticides I guess.

Robert

3. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I found a bunch on two trees in Plainview last week. I already caught a bunch of channel cats with them.

4. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yep - I had to work hard to get them. Within a block of my house there are half dozen big trees - two medium size (15-20 ft) - and two small bushes

Well the big tree next door has a little bit of catalpa poop on the ground but I need new glasses to see the little (mostly black worms)

The only other place that has worms is one of the bushes that is about 8 ft tall and 4ft around - it's mixed in with another tree and bunch of vines. It hangs out over the lake and I can't reach one side of it.

So far I've got one foot wet - when I almost fell in the lake - but I've got 12 big FAT green worms. Most are about 2-2.5" long - a couple are 1.5"

Last year this same bush had around a 100 small (mostly black) worms - but I can tell that did not happen this year (only a few leaves are eaten up - and that is how I find the fat boys :)

I hope the big tree next door gets loaded - it had all small ones last year - but a bunch of them. I plan to put them in a bucket and feed them leaves to see if I can fatten them up

I'm keeping the ones I got alive until I figure out best place to use them. Last year - the bream got the small ones and the turtles (I think) got the big ones.

My current plan is to tie some noodles to some cypress trees (or stumps) and not bait them until 10 or 11PM. I'm going to turn the worms inside out - so the juice attracts some nice cats :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

I sure hate to waste these big boys on bream (or even bass :(

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    John, One of the easiest ways I found to get them was to take the girls basketball and throw it up in the tree and knock them out. It don't damage the tree and requires a lot less effort to get those that are up high. If you keep them in the shade with plenty of leaves they will keep for a while. If you get a bunch you can put them in a freezer bag with some cornmeal and shake them up coating them with the meal and then freeze them and they won't stick them together. That big ice storm we had a few years back took out my catalpa tree.

ST

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A long pole works great for knocking the worms out of the trees, too. As for where to use them, give some thought to using them below the powerhouse. Use a 4-6 ounce sinker, and attach a baloon about 6'-8' above. Use one of those long skinny baloons they use to make animals, and blow it up about 12".

7. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    what exaclty are catalpas? are they the worms that make webs in trees?

8. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    No they do not make webs. The catalpa worm is usually found by looking for catalpa leaves that they are feeding on:

http://www.catalpaworms.com/

Is the website that gives info I like.

Lastest count from the little bush = 14 big green ones.

The big tree next door - finally has 1 or 2 little ones that I see.

9. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We collect them every year. Last year one tree had a power line touching it ! I got a small jolt shaking that tree !:eek:oooh:

10. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The big tree next door has high limbs so I still could not see any worms - BUT I just now went and saw that the ground was covered with their poop - a lot more than yesterday.

So I got my 8 ft. step ladder and a 10 ft pole - and after hitting limbs on one side of the tree (that I can reach) - I got about a dozen more worms

It's too hot now - I need to climb higher or go buy / use a basketball (as suggested)

I'm going fishing tonight - in the creek channel under the bridge - even if the boat fills up with snakes :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes:

11. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Started looking harder and found two more catalpa trees with worms. Ended up with about 4 dozen worms

So I put 4 on one end of my trotline - and got 2 small channels (about 1.5 lbs ea) While DK n bream bait 'did nothing' :sad2:

BTW: I pinched off the heads and used a match stick to turn them half way inside out.

I also put out 2 noodles and 6 yo-yo's (tied to my fishing pier) with worms - but I baited around dark and by 10PM only had bait left on one yo-yo and the two noodles.

Well I got a 3lb channel on the yo-yo and really small (less than 1 lb) on one of the noddles. i.e. during the night 3 baited hooks on my fishing pier = two fish (but one too small to keep)

Summary: I had 3 fish to clean - but I'm lazy so I gave them to my friends that plan a fish fry for tomorrow. They were happy because the bream fishing has been slow - and they will have 25 or more people for the fish fry.