Cat tail fuzz

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by nitronostrils, Jul 16, 2007.

1. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    I've been pondering the idea of giving a home made bait a whirl. Whats the overall role that cat fuzz plays in a bait? Thanks.

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i think it sorta helps hold the concoction together ,,,,,,,,,,

3. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    he's right i know a guy that uses them in his baits and he says all it does is help hold it togather and keep it on the hook.

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I add cattail to punch bait in order to thicken the mixture and make it hold a hook better. In the warmer months, the oils migrate out of the cheese and thin the bait to the point where ut will not stay on the hook.

There are two methods to thicken bait... the other is to refrigerate it... it will thicken right up, but on the boat, refrigeration could be a problem. I don't care for punchbait flavored sandwitches.

Some manufacturers use cottonseed meal or cotton lint during manufacture for the same purpose.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You can also thicken bait by sitting it down in a cooler of ice! I have a little 6 pack cooler that one of my stink bait buckets just sits in perfectly,then I surround the bucket with ice. No need to worry about a refrigerator.

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Where can you buy cottonseed meal at?

7. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Thanks for the confirmation of the thoughts that cat fuzz holds the bait together, now to just get the right measurements so it isn't like a soup. I'll keep you all post on how this works out. Gordhawk I did a quick search on cottonseed meal and it seems it could be bought basically at any garden center for example:

http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=342&openparent=2195

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    From what I understand, the cattail fuzz is supposed to be better than cottonseed meal or dryer lint, because the fibers in the fuzz are longer and thus hold the goop together. I don't know about the length of the fibers in cotton lint, but if they are as long as the cattail fibers, it should work well.

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    They work good when using a bare treble hook. Take some extra when it gets hot you can add them instead of chilling the bait to thicken the mixture.:wink:

10. johneydriscoll

johneydriscoll New Member

State:
    michigan
    I GOT A NEW ONE
    MY COUSION DAD FRIEND BOB IN OHIO USES LIVER WRAPED IN PANNYHOLES I DONT KNOW THE RECIPT BUT I WILL GET WHEN I GO FISHING IN OHIO IN 2 WEEKS HE SAYS THE MORE U TAW AND UNTAW THE MORE THE SMELL GETS STRONGER

11. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cattail fuzz definitely works to give the bait consistency. I watched an old timer on the banks of the Ohio at Mounds City catching catfish while I was getting none. After awhile I mosey down to see if he is willing to share his secret. Sure enough he was a talkative fellow and showed me his bait. Stink bait with lots and lots of cattail fuzz. Enough that it could be rolled into a small ball around a very small trebble hook and would stay on his line in the swift current of the river. That night I caught my biggest channel, a 20# using his method.

12. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never used it as a bait but it is an awesome fire starter. It goes up quick and burns hot.

13. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I make my own cheese bait and also use dried fluffed up cat tails to hold everything together it works awesome. i buy cheese scraps at a local cheese factory for 25-75 cents a lb. sometimes you have to pick out the salami and junk but after i cook it up in a big roaster i make several 5 gallon buckets of bait mix in my special ingredients and let it cool some before filling the buckets. i reserve the oil i skim off of the top while it`s cooking for future batches. this stuff FLAT OUT CATCHES FISH. i store it at a buddies he has a big morton building and it doesn`t stink my garage up lol.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, bacon will stay on the hook pretty well without using anything like pantyhose, at least for a couple or three freezing/thawings. Don't know what the bacon gets like after that; I don't seem to do nearly as well with the baits that have gotten real stinky.

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If only I can get my hands on some cattail fuzzz so I can try it with the Danny Kings stuff that I ordered.

16. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    cooking flower will thicken any dip bait right up

17. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Glenn, You can buy cottonseed meal at any feed store also.
    Bill

18. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Hey guys you are missing the side dish for you fish dinner
    Cat tails fried up be for they get to the fuzz stage .are great . the stalk is good in salad and when tender battered and fried . good stuff
    C.R.Mule

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Aren't the roots supposed to be good to eat too?

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Angel you will not need to add to Danny Kings Punch Bait. It has a good binder already. :smile2: