cat season is just around the corner.

Discussion in 'UTAH LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by montgomery#1, Feb 15, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    spring is comin and so's the cats. any body gonna go out to willard if so ill buy the bait and gas to go. and all the munchies. they arent going to fill willard back up though. the dike repair is going to cost to much says the state. ( bunch of idiots if you ask me ).

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    montgomery#1 , how far are ya from salina Utah ? a younger sister lives there and her husband keeps telling me about big cats over there in them parts . can't wait til it warms up myself going to be head'n out that way more often just to get some cat action.... maybe we can hook up and wet some lines and get some poles too bend ..

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Funny, I did not know that catfish season went out. Even when there is snow on the ground I am constantly dreaming and preparing for that next sunny day......................of course I usually have to go to work on that perfect day.

4. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    ogden and salina are along ways apart salina is more mid utah i live in northern utah near bear lake. utah lake is closer it is around a 100 miles from salina. next winter you should book a hunt with anderson feed and tack for a sheep or goat hunt the management hunts start at $400 and go to a couple grand. lots of fun. killed a 19 and a half inch ram on my 14th birhtday there my dad killed an angora goat. ( they are also called a catalina goat ) be ready to hike though. that terrain isnt as bad as n utah though. and this year they are having the western national trappers association meeting in nephi. thats alot of fun. lots of trap dealers and such. hope you go.

5. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    here in utah the cats slow down alot i mean cold mallasis moves faster than they do. the only real way you can catch them is to snag them. ( verrrrrrry illegal ) or bounce a jig on there snout.

6. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    So they are really goin to just give up on the only body of water in utah that holds wipers:crazy: Not to mention i bet there are some grandaddy cats in there. That really grinds my gears.Thanks for the heads up, if you find a way to stop it let me know i will back you up in any way i can. So when is this dread full day gonna happen.

7. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    news to me about willard.... a pisser it is. i'm hopeful though , good things are comin' and i can't really see them pullinn the plug on it any way, however there are still fish in that puddle and somebody has to get them out

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ok guys and gals i got a lady friend whos coming to mohab for the easter 4x4 convention but this lady likes fishing better than 4 wheeling.she needs a little help finding out bout the fishing in the colodarado river while she is there.any and all info would be appreciated.

9. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    moab has world class wheelin', hiking , biking, etc. i'd strongly suggest your lady friend check it out if she's never been. easter gets extemely crouded and crazy though. i personally don't get that far south as often as i'd like but her best bet is probably going to be the green river.. let me check my map and local fishin reports and i could probably give you more suggestions

10. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    ok, my bad , sorry, the colorado would be her best bet. like i said i just dont get down there that much. i cant find any reports on fishing though. i will say it has an extremely wide range of fish species in it, including large channels. sorry icouldnt be of more help. i would suggest telling your friend to come equipped with light rod and heavy expect to use traditional methods for whatever it is she wants to fish for, but most importantly ask the locals when she gets there... btw... southern utah is absolutely amazing!!! it is so unique in geography, i recommend bringing a camera (of course) and seeing as much as possible if she's never been. if she's lookin to go after a certain species of fish let us know and we might be able to give more suggestions..she's gonna have a blast!!!

11. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I have been to that exact spot in that time of year. the channel cats on the colorado are just beggein for an angler to throw there line in. we were usin chicken liver and night crawlers. We tried to not catch em by throwin six inches of the bank and still caught em the channells are VERY thick in those parts so thick the dwr has raised the limit to 24 instead of 8. We didnt catch many big daddy cats but the eater size cats are almost plague status. I am sure if you do a little scoutin while your wheelin you could latch into a monster. Try using like half a chub and i bet you will hook a biggun. If not throw on a worm or chicken liver and catch an endless supply of eaters. Hope this helps:wink:

12. cclaeys

cclaeys New Member

State:
    bountiful - utah
    I will be hitting Willard more than once early this year as well as Utah Lake, I dont have anything fancy, just a 16' Lund V with a 30 yammy on it - but it is a fishing machine and I usually go alone, more than welcome to come along sometime as long as you dont chop me up or something, I dont want to be the bait.

Utah lake looks like it will be first up. I havent done hardly any catfishing, I am more of a warmwater bass type of dude, but these things intrigue me and I plan on hitting em hard. Will be going to try and find some big minnows for cut bait.

Ever fish the bear river? There are supposed to be plenty there also.

13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i wont use you as bait. well maybe a finger or two. just kidding youre best bet is livers hot dogs and crawlers and maybe a couple suckers. from what i here you cant use shad out there any more. otherwise you would probably slay them.

14. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Yep says here in the proclamation, possesion of shad either dead or alive on or around willard bay is unlawful. It goes on saying that shad cannot be used as bait in any water.

15. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    the dividion is dumb for doing the no shad at all law. they shouldnt have done that because the shad that they sell in stores are mostly threadfin.

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know I cant wait hopefully this will be a good and productive year

17. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I have a feelin it is goin to be a VERY awesome year.:cool2:

18. UtahJoe

UtahJoe New Member

State:
    Utah
    I've fished Utah Lake several times over the last month and it is very slow but you can catch a Channel. Two weeks ago I was with a friend that landed an 11 pounder at Lincoln Beach and last week I landed a 5 pounder at American Fork. I've read on other forums about Channels being caught but not in large numbers, it is picking up. Carp meat is the bait of choice in Utah Lake, Sucker, White Bass and worms work well too.

Fished Willard twice with no luck I did read another person's post that said he has caught Channels both times he went. He was fishing the North-East corner and I believe he was usings Sucker meat

Here is a letter posted on another form about Willard water levels

Thank you for writing to express your concern with the Willard Bay. I appreciate your comments.

I understand your desire to see Willard Bay fixed. The Bureau of Water Reclamation has made this project a high priority. You may be interested to know that the Willard Bay leak has been temporarily fixed. A permanent fix is scheduled this summer. This will be a three year project, but by next year Willard Bay should be able to take a full load.

We did have a good winter, but even with the snow we received there is no way the bay can be filled with this year’s runoff. With the temporary fix, we should be able to maintain this year’s spring runoff.

You also may be interested to learn that Congressman Rob Bishop and I have introduced into legislation, Arthur V. Watkins Dam Enlargement Act of 2007 (S. 512/ H.R. 839) which would conduct a study on expanding Willard Bay, created by Arthur V. Watkins Dam, to hold more water. Experts indicate that raising the dam by five to 10 feet would increase the reservoir’s storage capacity by 50,000 to 70,000 acre-feet. I believe raising the dam will be an easy, cost effective, environmentally sound way to increase water storage capacity in the Weber Basin. Currently S. 512 is pending in the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.

Again, thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention.
    Signed by Orrin Hatch
    United States Senator

19. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Welcome to the boc Joe. If you have any questions let us kow or look in the member library.