cat rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by quickdraw, Jul 7, 2008.

1. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Has anyone out there ever seen a rod or blank with guides, no reel but an attachment or clamp that you wrap your line around as you pull your catfish in? I know a guy that has one but he can't remember where he got it or won't tell me. He said he thinks he ordered from lew childre years ago. It's about 12 feet long It looks like a jig pole. I know he has caught flatheads over 30lbs with it. fishing straight down in drifts around old pilings and old railroad trussels. I can't find anyone that makes them or sells them.

2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome aboard Jerry! I don't know where to get these rods, but I do know what they were designed for. BASS FISHING! There's a technique for bass fishing known as noodling or twitching. I will try to explain how this was done. It is a lost art that still works today! Bass fisherman use to tie or tape heavy piece of dracon maybe 100 or 120 lb test piece that was maybe a foot long off of the tip. This was tied to a creek chub bait or some other shallow water bait. The idea of this was to put the long rod across your lap while you sat in your chair and ran the trolling motor along lilies, stumps, weed lines and so on. While your going all you do is get in a rhythm of twitching the tip of the rod on the surface in front of the bait, this is big fish technique that really worked well! I know its not what you ask but it might help you find one. Good Luck!

3. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks shane for the info. I know what your talking about. I used to be a bass fisherman for many years, but got hooked on this cattin and can't let go of it. We got our share of big cats here in arkansas but haven't landed anything over 10lbs, at least not yet.This is a great board and there are
    a lot of fishermen and women that are willing to help and give good advise.