Cat Rod - Braid Line Guides

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by roh1961, Nov 25, 2005.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    :confused: Are there any popular non-spinning type rods that are:

1. 7' long one-piece

2. Have titanium (or similar) guides that will stand up to heavy braid. I've heard that aluminum oxide guides can't handle heavy braid very long.

3. Medium Heavy to heavy action

4. E-glass or S-glass blanks.

5. Affordable to semi-poor to poor folks.

Brands and model numbers, please Thanks Randy

2. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Your are right that a lot of guides will not hold up to heavy braid or larger fish on lighter braid. The guide that has the most wear is the tip top and it is eash to replace. I run 50 to 80 lb braid during the snag season on fairly large fish (lots of 20 to 60 lbers) and repeated casting. After several failures, I contacted Mudhole rod builders supply and talked to their tech people. Their advice worked well and tip tops are easy to install (but you need to give them an accurate size of your rod tip). This way you can select a reasonable priced rod or convert what you have without great expense. Mudhole.com helped me with my braid problems. Hannibal Mike

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    ugly-stick makes 1 piece 7to 8 ft rods with fuji guides that holds up to braid no problem ,I have 2 of the catfish rods med-heavy and have them spooled with power-pro and have had no problems

4. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Maybe I asked the wrong question. I still want 7 foot rods, mh, e-glass; and I'm sure the rods mentioned work well, but are there any affordable cat rods that have factory guides that were designed for heavy braid or lighter braid and heavy fish? What type of guides were made for heavy braid line? I can't afford custom rods but I would hate to buy a rod and because of inferior guides have to have new guides put on after the braid wears them out. Are the newer braids or dacron lines still hard on guides? I prefer mono but it's hard to find the middle of the road between heavy capacity lines and long or easy casting after going so far over your reels intended line diameter. That would be my only reson to use braid. Thanks, Randy

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    randy try ugly stick tiger $60.00 and replace the top guide with either a roller tip or a hd fuiji tip hope this helps

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    roh1961, I do not have a problem with the guides on my rods. I am using 100lb. Power Pro and have not found a problem with the guides on them. What i have entered below are the BPS CatMaxx rods in the size that you requested. Ihope that this can assists you.

HOPPY4

$49.99 38-111-600-00 14-18 LB
    1-1/2 - 1-3/4 OZ 7' MH CTX70MHT
    9 GUIDES

$49.99 38-111-612-00 10-25 LB
    1-4 OZ 8' MH
    1 PIECE CTX80MHS
    8 GUIDES

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    All of the braid websites are claming that improvements to there line make them not wear down the guides! I have yet to see any damage on any of my guides!