cat ponds & cat holes

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by armyfisher, Sep 27, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    well i got a couple of questions that hopfully can be answered. i normally fish small 1-4 acre ponds biggest cat i've caught weighed around 10 lbs channel cat. my buddy armyfisher2 caught a 18 pounder the week before. now the pond that we fish confuses us every time we fish it. we catch about the same every time we fish around 6-18 cats per night. now heres the questions (1) is there any way to determine catfish dens or where they might be by looking at the water when the wind is blowing? (2) when found a catfish den is it better to throw bait straight in or throw past and work it into the den? any help on these two questions would be great thanks a lot brothers and keep up the good fishing:smile2:

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When the fish are active, you can throw around where they are at and the fish will normally go to the bait. however if the fish are not active at all, you have to throw right on them and try to trigger a reaction bite. and the best way to find out i think if they are active in ponds is to throw close them and slowly work your way to them. when i used to paylake fish thats how i did when i spotted a big fish near the bank. a lot of times i would have to put the bait in front of them and eventually the fish would be annoyed by the bait and take it. i hope this helps

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    man i haven't fished a pond in a long time, probably since i was a little kid

4. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    i don`t own a pond so i don`t fish them . most people that own a pond don`t fish them and don`t wan`t anyone else fishing them . even thoug the fish was stocked frome a hatchery that was state funded .

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Finding the den might be hard if you didn't see the structure in the pond before it filled . sometimes as in lakes as well fish the banks that the wind is blowing the water to. it congregates zooplankton ,then minnows , then bigger fish are usually right close if they are feeding .

6. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I mostly fish smaller ponds and let me tell ya if you get one fishy, more then likely more are close by its just the way the channels are, ive hit 5 in the same spot be4 then moved and not got another hit all day! Its crazy! :crazy: but I can tell ya something else I picked up to be true, if you keep getting hit by bluegills or you see minnows just slowly swimming around your NOT by the cats den, Because if big fish are around the small one ARE NOT!! lol so if your line is gettin pecked the heck out of, MOVE no big guys around or the small ones would have Jetted!!:wink:

7. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I occasionaly fish ponds. The cats really like structure to relate to. So if you can, add some! When the pond freezes over, drag some tress out there. These will bring in all fish and the bigger channels i've caught out of a pond have come from around structure. Another great thing that will attract cats is old tires, they love to curl up in them.